Chapter 25: Behind Locked Doors Part II

Annabeth's heart pounded in her chest as she took a left and came face to face with the carved wooden door that led to Nico's bedroom. For a moment, she hesitated. Annabeth was playing a dangerous game, if she was caught, she would be outcasted. She glanced down the dark hallway, checking to see whether anyone was watching her. Once she realized she was alone, she knocked on the door. She heard footsteps making their way to the door and muffled voices. The door opened to reveal Nico, his hair was messy and he wore a white shirt and black pants. "You woke me up, again. It's enough I have Piper pacing in the room, worried about you." He snapped, rubbing the sleep from his eyes.

"Al right then, I'll keep the information to myself." She walked away but he told her to wait. She turned back as he opened the door wide enough for her to slip in. Piper was seated on one of the arm chairs, bouncing her feet up and down to calm her nerves. "How did it go? Did anyone see you?" She asked. Annabeth sat down on the chair opposite to hers and bought out the thin pile of papers she had hidden in her jacket. "It went well," she lied. She wasn't going to mention Percy's shadow, that would make it look like she got away easily, they would figure out the truth. "No one seemed suspicious, the guards were too oblivious." She unfolded the papers and laid them out on the coffee table. "The scrolls and maps were laid out on his desk. Taking them meant facing an outraged Percy, therefore I sketched them as fast as I can."

Nico grabbed a couple of the papers and skimmed through them. "Our deal was to get the scrolls and maps. And you didn't." Annabeth rolled her eyes and said. "Our deal was for all three of us to come out unharmed. If you want them, go get them yourself." Before Nico could object, Piper snatched the papers and examined them closely. Annabeth already knew what she would say as soon as Piper shot off her seat, her eyes wide with fear. "Piper, what is it?" Nico asked, his voice rising with panic. Piper set the papers down and glanced at them. "Percy made an alliance with ancient sea monsters. Sea monsters Poseidon had imprisoned, Percy freed them. Thousands of them. They'll attack our ships before we can even reach the island."

Nico collapsed on his bed and buried his head in his hands. "This is worse than expected. Our forces will be weakened before the battle even erupts. Poseidon will only have his army of mermen by his side now. And let's not forget the monsters Percy allied with too." Annabeth stayed silent as Nico and Piper fell into a discussion of the worst possible case scenarios. There was nothing she could say to aid them at the moment, many innocent campers will die. Whether Percy lost or won, camp Half-Blood would lose many campers, even their victory would be bitter.

"Imagining the possibilities won't help us. Instead, we should find a way to repel the creatures." Annabeth mentioned. Nico narrowed his dark eyes towards her, his glare and hatred evident. "You didn't seem surprised with the sudden knowledge of Percy's plans." Nico taunted her. At the mention of the word 'plan' Annabeth remembered the locked door in Percy's chambers. Her fingers curled around the small key in her pocket, she could sense the pain pumping through her body again, it seemed familiar to her. "I wasn't surprised because I saw it while sketching the map for you." She explained.

"You couldn't mention it earlier?" He asked. Nico didn't want to admit it but some part of him trusted her now. But the real Annabeth wouldn't stay silent in such a matter. She would be explaining the maps and searching for solutions, something was bothering her. "I was too caught up with how I got away to tell you." She explained. She stood from her chair and made her way to the door. "I hope I've proven my trust. And when Nico's ready to put his ego aside and take me seriously, find me." The door closed with a loud bang.

"Something happened to her, she seems a bit off." Nico said, grabbing his leather jacket and putting it on. He hid the papers in his jacket's pocket. "What do you mean?" Piper asked. "Everyone seems off nowadays." Nico shrugged and didn't answer, his thoughts were occupied with making sure the information reached Camp Half-Blood. "We should get going, I don't want to keep them waiting." Piper nodded in response and headed to the door, Nico behind her.