Chapter 21: Where Loyalties Lie

A knock on the cabin door demolished the intense argument amongst the demigods. Piper opened the door to find the daughter of Athena, her grey eyes keeping a storm in her at bay. "Annabeth! Thank the I'm gods you're well!" She tackled her with a hug. Annabeth pushed her away, casually stepping into the cabin. All her friends eyed her closely as she sat down on her bed, her stormy eyes scanning them all. "Let me make things clear for all of you, before your useless questions start attacking me." Annabeth explained her encounter with Percy, leaving some of the details out. She described her dreams, and what she intended to do to the Olympians, how she was abounding the quest and joining Percy. None of them interrupted her, but their countenance revealed disappointment and anguish. When she mentioned what Percy had done to Leo, also adding that Percy had released his control over him, they were all shocked. But Leo admitted that he wasn't able to control himself before his release.

               When she had finished telling them what had previously happened to her, the demigods sat in intense silence for a few minutes, before Jason's voice shattered it. "Annabeth you cannot possibly join Percy! What had gotten into you? Turning you back on the Olympians also means turning your back on your friends at the two camps. You're nothing but a selfish betraying coward!" Jason spat. Annabeth did not stir as his words settled in, she thought she would be hurt, unsurprisingly, she wasn't. "Your childish words don't mean anything to me, Grace." Annabeth stood and faced them. "The king wishes to know where your loyalties lie. Those who wish to fight by his side, you're more than welcomed to stay. Those of you who wish to side with the enemy, the king gives you till dawn to set sail off this island." She gracefully made her way to the door, her eyes glaring in their direction before saying, "anyone who defies him, therefore defies me. I don't recommend you to do that." The door slammed shut behind her.

               Hazel instantly lost control, breaking down into tears. Nico held her hand and gripped it, trying to console his sister. But he needed the consoling himself, he was lost. Unable to put what he cared about first, avenging Will. His heart shattered when he heard of Will's death, worse when he learned Percy was the one to blame. He wouldn't ever tell anyone, he loved Will. The people he loved he was slowly losing, Bianca the first amongst them. He would never let harm come towards Hazel or any of his friends. Losing his lover, Will, had already set him on edge. "No." Hazel said, shaking her head in denial. "No, that wasn't Annabeth. Percy has done something to her. Annabeth would never do that, she would never walk away from doing what is right."

               Piper sighed, agony clearly splattered on her face. "Hazel, I'm not sure what is right, is right and what is wrong, is wrong anymore."

               "I told you, we should've left. We had the chance, we could've taken it. Percy is long gone, you should have listened to me from the beginning, before none of us was lost to the dark side. We should've left, even if it meant forcing Annabeth on that ship." Jason snapped. "So this time, we're leaving."

               "I'm staying." Piper concluded, her voice loud yet calm, signaling that her decision won't be altered with. Jason's eyes widened, anger running through his veins just like electricity through a wire. "It is not what you think," she explained. "I would never join Percy. I'm staying here to act as a spy, I want to destroy him and his army." Piper blinked, she won't let her tears be evident. She found it highly hard to accept her defeat in brining Percy back. She thought there was hope, but he is long gone, she knew it. And to worsen matters, she had lost her best friend. "I'll stay here, to learn their every move. I'm not fond of the Olympians, especially after their betrayal, but camp half-blood and camp jupiter will not de destroyed under his influence. I won't allow it."

               Nico nodded. "I'll stay too. Being an Upper Guard will get us the information we need. The rest of you, leave this island. "I'm an Upper Guard too, I'll stay." Leo suggested. Nico instantly disagreed, stating that all the Upper Guards staying would cause suspicion, especially after Percy's release on Leo's control.