Chapter 20: Beyond the Dark Matter

Dark vapor circled her, trapping her body into a corner she can't escape from. The vapor kept swimming in the air, not stopping. If she tried to take a step the vapor would only float closer towards her, pushing her back, but it would never touch her. 

               Annabeth was dreaming, she knew it. The last thing she remembered was her wrists bleeding before she tumbled to the ground, Percy's dark eyes watching her. 

               Annabeth took a step forward, the vapor blocking her path. She couldn't understand why it wanted her to stay trapped in the corner, she couldn't see what lay beyond the wall of the floating dark matter but she knew she had to walk through it. 

               Closing her eyes, she took a step forward, she could feel the vapor close to her now, trying to force her to move back. Annabeth wouldn't let it be the one in control, she would make it move back. She took another step, the vapor closing in on her. She didn't open her eyes, she didn't want to be engulfed in total darkness, she would only open her eyes when she wouldn't feel the energy it radiated. Pure evil. 

               Slowly, she made her way through it, eyes still closed but mind focused. The darkness was taunting her, she was tempted to open her eyes but she only squeezed them tighter. Then, all of a sudden, as if a huge weight was lifted off her shoulders, as if she was choking and the air finally made it to her lungs, the dark matter dissolved in the air. 

               Her eyes opened, she stood on a hill, overlooking a huge filed. Fog circled from above, the sky grey and stormy just like her eyes. She shivered, rubbing her hands on her upper arms. But that wasn't the worst part, no. It was the bodies. 

               Dry blood stained the grass at her feet, warriors lay dead across the field. Weapons broken and armors stained with blood. A battle had erupted here, and no matter who lost both the armies had lost a lot of soldiers. The amount of bodies laying lifeless on the ground was so much she felt sick. 

               A thunder strike erupted from the heavens, she descended down the hill, making sure not to step over any of the bodies. She couldn't recognize any of them, their faces were scared so badly. Whoever had done this possessed no mercy, no humanity in them. Her feet carried her across the filed in an unimaginable speed, she hadn't realized she was crying until her vision blurred and she had to stop and calm herself.

               The sight of death has always terrified her. Throughout her life she had been thrown into so many situations where she would've died, but it was always the sight of the dead after that made her feel uneasy. Annabeth always knew she was lucky, she survived two major wars and many battles, people would consider that a blessing. But to her it was a curse, knowing you'll make it out and others won't. 

               Especially when many demigods have lost their lives because of the prophecy of the seven. It was their blood that needed to be spilled, not the blood of demigods who had nothing to do with the prophecy. Not the demigods who fought the war with them, for them. They didn't agree to back down, they knew they might never survive and yet, they fought. 

               Was this how Percy felt when he defeated Kronos? When he was the child of the prophecy? How did he feel when so many demigods lost their lives that day for him? Guilt? Anger? Anger. She knew it, anger towards the gods. Maybe Percy had cared once for the demigods who lost their lives for him, maybe thats why he hated the gods. 

               The gods would only watch the demigods suffer while the hid away in fear, coming out only when they knew the battle has been already won. Annabeth understood him now, becoming part of the second great prophecy made her understand him more. It also made her hatred towards the Olympians grow unbearable. Annabeth cared for those innocent demigods, they died because the Olympians couldn't do whats right.