Chapter 22: The Dawn of War

The waters of darkness crashed against the shores that were stained with dry blood. The waves were violent and unmerciful to any being that dared to challenge it. The power of the waves came from an indestructible force, the waves could never be tamed. Even the heavens seemed to protect the island with raging thunder and deadly strikes of lightning. The stentorian sounds of thunder echoed deeply in the jungle. The jungle was a world of its own, inside the world of storms surrounding it. Shadows hid in between the trees, nightmares of all sorts. Anyone who dared to venture through it alone would be left paranoid from the horror that would be unleashed upon them. But, those who survive through the jungle, those who prove themselves worthy of handling such torment would be rewarded, they would find themselves a home. Across a narrow path through the enormous trees, a gigantic field greets them. A camp. A camp where people who survive the jungle belong, a place where the spill of innocent blood makes you a praised hero. At the end of the field, on top of a hill, a fortress built with black stone stands. Dead vine leaves twirl around it, statues of monsters decorate its towers, anyone who stumbles upon it would know better that to cross the black gates filled with spikes.

Standing on one of the balconies of the black castle, is the king. His eyes following the movements of his Upper Guards as they trained in the castle's courtyard. A black raven circled the guards above, it's red beady eyes fixed on two demigods in particular. The black raven changed its direction and landed on the ground next to the king. Slowly, the raven's figure began to expand and rise, the wings shaped themselves into hands and the red beady eyes became sea green. Derek bowed. "I listened close to Piper and Nico, they haven't said anything to each other. Besides, they are each stationed away from each other." Derek explained. The king let out a low laugh. It caused Derek to shiver despite the humid air. "Of course. They won't speak to each other nor come close. They know I'm watching them from up here." Derek peered down below. Him and the king stood at the highest point of the castle, the king watched from the highest balcony. A thin of layer of fog was present, they couldn't possibly know he was watching them. "Sir, that's impossible. From down there it would be hard to spot you." The king rolled his eyes. "Atlanta knows I'm watching and she keeps glancing up. Piper noticed that and she followed the direction Atlanta was looking at. She knows." The king concluded.

"This means I need to follow them when they know you aren't watching, right?" Derek asked. The king sighed and nodded. "Took your tiny brain a while, didn't it?" Derek didn't dare to answer him. "Do your job well Derek," he turned and starred him down, "and then maybe I will treat you well." Percy said. "Go take a look at how the campers are training, and then instantly report back to me. But before tell Atlanta to stop the training, I've seen enough." Derek nodded and retreated into the castle. The king's eyes landed on Annabeth, he studied her movements and the positions she took while sparring with Dominic. He guessed every move she would make, he had known her long enough to guess right. A spark of evil began to form in his mind as he turned around and walked into his office.

Atlanta raised her hand for silence immediately after what Derek told her. The Upper Guards halted and gathered around her. "That's enough for the day. Retreat back to your rooms, the king will call on us when it is time for a meeting." The Upper Guards went back to the castle, separating to take different paths. Piper and Nico stayed at the back of the group, when everyone else was gone they were finally able to talk. "Let's go back to my room, we'll make sure no one is watching over there." Piper said. They walked alongside each other in silence, when they reached they made sure no one was following, after that they locked the door behind them.

Piper turned to face Nico, panic visible across her face. "Percy was watching from the tower." She flopped down on her bed. "Do you think he's on to us?"

Nico shook his head. "We haven't done anything suspicious, yet. He was probably just watching over everyone train, not us precisely." Nico sat down next to her. "Piper, don't worry, we just need to be extremely careful."