Chapter 33: The Liars

'He who walked the path of hell

who didn't know what we will tell

accused of committing a crime 

only he knows what goes on in his mind

by the winter solstice it shall appear 

and let everyone finally hear'

The throne room on Olympus was filled with laughter and music echoing through Piper's ears. the room radiated joy and peace but Piper couldn't help but feel completely miserable and guilty as her eyes scanned the crowd's faces. Their happiness and victory was based on a lie and it took all her will power not to blurt out the truth as she dragged her exhausted body to the empty table in the corner of the room. 

               She collapsed on the chair and buried her head in her hands. Last night, she hadn't slept at all. Jason had asked her to help him in dividing what remained of Percy's army into Olympus' prisons. Percy. He was still imprisoned in the box, Jason would let him out tonight when everyone else is too exhausted and drunk from the celebrations. The celebrations would last three days, today was the second day and Piper hadn't agreed to engage in it at all. How could she dance and celebrate when Percy could easily slip away and cause chaos? How could she lie to everyone? She didn't know what she might do to herself if Percy managed to slip away, she would never forgive herself. After all, they would all blame her and her friends. 

               "What's wrong with you? Not a party person?" Thalia asked as she slipped into the seat next to hers. Piper looked up. The huntress was dressed in a short sleeveless dress that hugged her figure. Her black hair was pulled back into a tight ponytail and despite the fact that it was a party, Thalia still had her quiver strapped across her back. On other circumstances Piper would've partied all day and night, but she couldn't shake the feeling of unease she suffered with the last two days. "I don't understand why there is a party, actually. I mean, Percy's dead. He died a villain, but he spent the majority of his life being a hero. Hurting him still hurts." Piper lied. They hadn't told Thalia about the plan, she was too loyal to Artemis to hide such information from the goddess. 

               Thalia set her glass of champagne on the table and turned to face Piper. "People will never remember his heroic acts. Never. People remember how you left this world, not what you did in it." She explained. 

               "But that's not right." Piper argued. 

                She shrugged. "It's not. But since when is anything right?" Thalia turned to look back at the party, then immediately glanced away. "How's Annabeth holding up? I haven't seen her in the past two days?" Annabeth. Another name Piper didn't want to remember right now. After the battle, Jason had told the others about Annabeth's betrayal. Percy knew Jason had the box, who else would've told him? Piper and the others hadn't confronted her yet, she was too worked up with what to say to Percy when they release him tonight that they chose to keep her unbothered for now. Piper forced herself to appear worried about her friend as the boiling rage in her burned. "She still loves him, Thalia. You know it's not easy. He's gone, for good." Lies. Lies. Lies. That's what she's been saying for the past two days. How long can she keep it going? 

               "I know." Thalia answered, taking a sip from her glass. "But he never loved her, not truly." Piper wanted to tell her that might not be true. Maybe Percy did still love her deep down, or maybe he wanted her dead. It was either love or death, no in between. "I'll see you around." Piper said as she got up and left the throne room, not waiting to hear what Thalia shouted after her.