23 | The Past

Two in a Million: 23 | The Past
| Laura Marano |

Sighing, I look into the camera. I've been dreading this conversation for quite some time and have been trying my hardest to avoid this topic for forever. But now, I know I need to get it off my chest.

"Well... This is probably my eighth time trying to get this right..." I say. "As you can tell by the title, this is gonna be an emotional video." Taking a deep breath, I look down at my lap. "Which is why I'm not wearing any makeup and why my hair is up." And I'm wearing a sweatshirt because Ross gave me like seven hickeys last night. I bite my lip, hoping the tears wouldn't fall. "How the hell am I suppose to explain this?" I mumble to myself. I get up and turn the camera off, sit back down, and wipe my eyes. Grabbing my phone, I quickly send a text to Ross.

To Ross💘:
Could you come over after you're done with hockey? I'm kinda struggling at making this video and I can't think of how to explain this. I understand if you can't so don't make it a priority if you can't.

To Ross💘:
Sorry if that was confusing. If you can't com over, then don't worry about it.

I turn the camera on, wipe my eyes again, and sit back down.

"Okay, I'm gonna do it." I say. "Hi, everyone." I start, giving them a small wave. "This video will be a lot different than my previous videos." I wipe one of my eyes and sniffle. "The reason why I was gone was that my great uncle died." Sighing, I look down. "If you didn't know, I recently went back to Italy to spend time with some family while my u-uncle got a new he-heart." I look back at the camera.

"He didn't make it, but that's not the reason..." Before I went on, my phone buzzes. Ross.

From Ross💘:
I'll be over after dinner. I promise I'll cuddle with you and play with your hair or rub your back. Whichever you prefer. Stay strong, Laur. It's okay to cry in this video.

To Ross💘:
Thanks. I owe you one, Ross.

Smiling sadly, I wipe my eyes again. Can I just bail on this conversation and write it in my notes to post on social media instead? No, Laura. You know it'll make you feel better to say it.

"There's been something I've avoided since I started this YouTube channel." I couldn't even look at the camera. "I just met my dad the day before my great uncles death at the hospital." Memories. Rubbing my eyes again, I pick up my phone to text Ross again.

To Ross💘:
Is your sister or mom busy right now?

Luckily, he replied right away.

From Ross💘:
My sisters with Ellington and my moms running errands. Why?

To Ross💘:
I just need a hug right now.

From Ross💘:
Laur, I'll be right over if that's all you need.

To Ross💘:
No, play hockey. I'm just going to try and finish this video and then take a nap.

From Ross💘:
You sure? Because I can always take my little brothers car over if you want.

To Ross💘:
No, I'm fine. Text me when you leave your house to come here.