Chapter 4 ♥ Weighing Options

The next day, Zonnique prepared to get on the flight to Cali. She didn't even bother to tell her family members; they would just stare at her face and short hair.

As she made her way downstairs to check if any of her family were there, T.I. walked from out of the kitchen. He jumped a little, still getting used to her new face. "Hey.... Nique!"

"Hey, pops."

"Where were you going this early?"

Zonnique looked down at her phone then back at him. "I'm going to the store." She lied.

"Oh, in that case, can you get some eggs for-"

"I was going to the... mall, pops." She laughed. T.I. made a disappointed face then poked his lips out. "Ah, well. I'll just have your momma get it. No biggie."

"Okay.."

He stepped up to her face and observed her blue, pixie-cut hair. She used to wear it so long for all of her l!fe, so she looked completely different. "That's a- a nice hair cut you got there, Nique."

"You really think that?"

"What? Yes!"

"Pops, stop lying to me! You guys are treating me differently just because I have short hair, and my face doesn't look 'pretty'!" She snapped as her voice raised a little.

"Nique, I suggest you calm down before you go NO where. Now, I said that it was nice. I don't know where this little attitude is coming from, but-"

"That's the thing! I HAVE no attitude!"

"Then why are you deciding to have all of this surgery, a hair cut, this raising of the voice?"

"Because I was trying to help someone!"

"Did you break up with that little boy?"

Zonnique wiped her tears and eyes him slowly. "What?"

"I asked if you broke up with that little boy? You know, with the braids? 'Cause usually you little girls go downhill when you're not in a relationship."

"Downhill? How am I going downhill? All I wanted was my damn appearance changed!"

"Did you just cuss at me, lil' girl?" T.I. said in a shaky voice.

Zonnique frozed and looked the other way. She did not mean to cuss at him at all, but she was heated in the moment.

"Pops, I was just-"

"GO to your room and don't even THINK about coming down. Matter of fact.." He snatched her iPhone from out of her hand and slammed it on the ground, causing her to jump. "MY PHONE!" She yelled.

"Go to your damn room! Wait until yo' mama hear about this, girl. Just wait! Who the hell do you children think you talking to now-a-days? Lord!"

"Pops, I'm sorry! Please let me have my phone back!"

"If I have to ask you one more time to go to that room, I'm definitely throwing the phone out the upstairs window. Keep playing with me."

Zonnique stared at him, then ran upstairs with nothing but tear pouring out of her eyes. As she stomped up the stairs, her mother slowly opened the door. She only had a white robe on and her hair was all over the place, signaling that she'd just woken up.

"Nique, what's wrong baby?" She yawned.

Zonnique passed by her, straight into her room, then slammed the door.

"I hate all of you! I can't believe FAMILY out of all people would be the ones to judge your appearance like you're supposed to be a model!" She wanted to cuss so badly, but she knew that would only get her into deeper trouble.