Masks

^^ Cover: Damian Wayne Acadian ^^
(Because Robin IV is bæ, and I don't care what you say.)

--- Damian's POV ---

I swung my spear at James (the orphan poacher) swiftly, attempting to get past his defense. He blocked with insulting ease, and spoke. "You must not be predictable, Prince Damian. Many warriors rely on forms to fight. This drills reflexes into them, and is well met. But it is predictable, and those who can see the patterns can predict them, and end the fight swiftly. Your father does this." He said, stepping into me and knocking my feet out from under me.

Grandmother spoke. "He is correct. Forms are good. But Unpredictable attacks are also good. You must balance the two. Make your own rhythms, control the fight."

I nodded. "Yes, teachers." I settled into an Earth Stance, and instead of using my spear, I kicked his knee, and brought a knee into his face, breaking his nose. I placed my spear on his throat once he was down. "Is that sufficient?" I asked.

He grinned, and suddenly I noticed his spear was missing. I looked up, just in time for the shaft to slap my forehead. I groaned in pain, clutching my head from the Hollow Thunk.

He nodded, standing, and spoke in a nasally voice. "Yes. For today. More tomorrow." He said, and grandmother set his nose.

She looked at me. "Well done. But be more aware of your opponent, not just your attack. But very well done for a 10 year old. James is the best student I ever had, even better than your father was. Of course, your father has learned more than I could ever teach him-"

"Why does everyone do that!!! I don't care! My father is amazing, sure, it's been said a thousand times just today! Why can't everyone shut up about it?!? I'm not him! I never will be and I don't want to try!" I snapped.

She blinked, then nodded. "I realize that could be... Annoying, living within your fathers shadow. To get out of it, you'd have to be amazing to. I'm trying to make that happen."

"And I thank you every day for that. But can we please just leave him out of one conversation?" I asked.

She nodded. "Sure. I'll do my best. Now. As I was saying, James is my best student. You leave with your sisters for the Demon Realm again in a month, for your yearly visit to Queen Fauna. Before then, you should master your weapon and defeat James. You will have greater enemies there than he and I."

I bowed. "Yes, grandmother. I understand."

She nodded. "Oh, and Gunther's son also will be there. He's 10, like you. Perhaps you will be friends? Equal in rank, and you're first cousins."

I hummed. "I will attempt peace between us." I nodded in acquiescence.

She sighed. "That's not what I meant. Peace is not Friendship."

"But it is the first step." I said, placing my wooden spear on the rack and picking up an iron sword, my best weapon. It weighed almost 500 pounds. I swung it one handedly, and put it back, grabbing the great sword next to it, at 1750.

I hefted it with one hand, grunting at the weight, and then grabbed its twin, and began my forms again as she considered my answer. "I suppose that's true. But... Grandson. You do not seem to care for personal affection. Except from your sisters." She said.

I nodded. "No. I do not. My sisters... I tolerate their affection. I do not need to tolerate anyone's affection that isn't family. If they are not Kin to me, they have no place giving me Affection. I despise it."

"Does it make you feel weak?" She asked.

"No. It disgusts me, physically and mentally. It is not a matter of pride. It is a matter of peace." I answered truthfully, explaining myself as best as possible.