Wassamattayou?

^^ The Beast Of Carthage ^^

--- Gwen's POV ---

I sat down at my table in my Rituals class, the last of the day. I sat alone, as I had for the past three months, ever since Pera stopped even looking at me.

The others seemed to think she was shunning me, and decided to join in, despite not knowing what it was about. Sheep, herded by a Foxes nose. Hmph.

Le'Main came in. "Hello, class. No time for introductions. Today we are attempting a demon summoning, and I hope for the best, though I've prepared for the worst."

"Your worst being?" I asked.

"A demon breaks the containment field." She said concisely.

"Seriously? Do you not realize how dangerous summoning is? What if someone summons a Demon Prince? Or a Fallen Angel?" I asked incredulously. "No pesky circle would hold them!"

She smiled. "And that is why we attempt to only summon beast minded lesser demons."

I sighed. "Whatever, I'm not arguing with you."

"Thank you. Now. Everyone, grab a piece of red chalk, yes it is powdered virgin blood, and no, you may not know where I got it." She chuckled.

I looked her in the eye as she handed me a piece. "Where did you get it?"

"I drained it from 72 virgins, back in the old days when that was allowed." She shrugged. "They didn't die. Just light headed for a few... Months."

She walked away, and I sighed.

She walked over to the board, and waved her hand. The tables disappeared, and we all got places. I was on the opposite side of the room from Pera, of course.

Miss Le'Main nodded. "Good! Now. Copy the demon circle from page 732, please, precisely. If your hand is not steady enough, use magic. It must be precise or not only will it not work, you may set a demon loose and kill us all. No pressure."

I sighed and waved a hand. I didn't use the chalk. I had the fresh blood of several virgin men who'd died by my fathers sword during the wars. I painted the ground with it in a medium demon circle, very complex, and looked at miss Le'Main.

She smiled. "Everyone? Stop what you're doing, I'd like you to see a successful summoning. What are you summoning, Gwen?"

"An Ifrit." I said, and stepped out of the circle with a little effort. Despite their origin, the magic in the symbols was real and powerful.

I snapped my fingers, forgoing the flashy, useless incantation. It was all show anyway, to focus your mind. I didn't need to focus that sharply, unless I summoned a specific one. The circle blazed, and an Ifrit rose from the smoke.

 The circle blazed, and an Ifrit rose from the smoke

He knelt. "Princess Gwendolyn, Eldest Daughter of Jacob, Son of Arthur, Son of Oculus, brother of GalThunder............... Of me, what do you wish?" He hissed in crackling Draconian, like flames.