The Arena

(Quick note: the gods of the European Pantheons are not only real, but extremely active, in this world. Lots of Demigod's, and yes, they interact with mortals. So this is not unheard of.)

--- Pera's POV ---

I sat next to my father, and toothless sat curled up behind me, watching with bored eyes.

Gwen came into the arena, and father stood. I placed a hand on his forearm. "She doesn't know the rules."

He nodded and boomed out in his normal Giants voice. "QUIET! Thank ye. Now, for all the new people to the arena! The rules are simple! Magic is not allowed! Magical weapons are not allowed! Nothing but the weapons on the walls and your own hands is allowed! Killing the opponent is allowed, but not necessary, and if the opponent yields, the match ends, end of story! First we've Gwen of Acadia, fighting Astern, Son of Thor, Hunter of Burk. Let the match begin, and remember there are no rules other than no magic!" He bellowed.

Gwen watched the advancing Astern with a look almost akin to looking at a snarling puppy. Cute, and feisty, but not dangerous.

He swung his axe with all his might, in a downward smashing motion that should've cleaved her in two, had she not been a dragon. The axe hit her collarbone, and shattered, leaving him unarmed.

She winced an rolled her shoulder. "Nice hit. Had that been a godly weapon, I might've died. Do you yield, or must I hurt you, Son of Thor?" She said in a bored tone.

He growled and launched a roundhouse at her face, which she calmly caught and sent him into the wall with one hand. "You're strong, Son of Thor, but even the mightiest fall. Do not continue. Yield." She said.

He spat out blood. "Never." Then he charged again, flipping over her smoothly, and kicking her in the face.

She was pushed back, and her lip busted. She slowly traced a long nail over her bloody lip, and examined it. Her eyes sparked golden, and I jumped up, screaming "DODGE!"

He ducked, and her hand slammed the wall were his face had been, completely shattering the wall, and part of the stands. Several people fell onto the rubble, but no one was harmed.

She slowly advanced, eyes blazing. "Fine. You won't submit? I'll just have to break you, like a prize stallion." She hissed.

He darted forward and struck her in the face again, but she didn't move. Her hand was wrapped around his wrist, and she flexed her forearm, squeezing.

We heard the snap, as did everyone else in the arena, and his Yelp of pain, before he growled and slammed a knee into her face. She reeled back, more surprised than harmed, and whipped out a hand, slapping him across the face. His jaw broke with an audible crack, and he slammed into the wall, his head cracking against the stone.

He slumped, unconscious, or even dead. Hopefully just unconscious. She waved a hand, and I could see his wrist and jaw realign, but not heal, and his skull stopped bleeding. He blinked his eyes open slowly, and she stomped on his chest. "Yield." She said.

He weakly raised his unharmed fist, and punched her. She laughed. "You know, I like you. You're an idiot, but you've got the spirit of a warrior, that's for sure."

She punched him in the nose, and he slumped again. She tossed him out of the ring, and saluted my father.

He stood. "Good fight! Well done! Now! On to the next! Oh, and Fix the wall, please."