Four

The darkness upsurges the effort to identify the structure of the ceiling. The only source of light illuminates from the multiple candles placed across the room. The pillars holding onto the ceiling holds carvings but the flickering glow prevents me from distinguishing the intricate designs. I can't recognise this place; I can't tell where I am. My body is frozen in place, preventing from taking in my surroundings. I stare at the ceiling, trapped in my own body.

I feel a pressure preventing me from moving; as though my body is possessed by someone else. Abruptly, my view is covered by a figure. A hand, wearing a black glove. I notice the metallic blade in its hand, hovering above my head. I knew what is coming, I knew what is about to happen but my body won't allow itself to move. I can't do anything to help myself.

I heard a faint chant as the blade remains in my line of sight. I can't decipher the words of the chant, I can't tell whether the voice belongs to a man or a woman. It's barely audible. However, the voice slowly becomes louder and louder as if the source of the chant is approaching me. The blade begins to descend; closer towards me. I try to scream, try to move but nothing happens. I lay frozen as though I am peering through someone else's eyes. Alas, I feel the cold, metallic blade touch the skin of my neck and slowly slide to the side.

Instantly, I'm unable to breathe. I feel helpless, vulnerable and lost. I'm unable to do anything, I'm not in control of the situation. I feel long breaths on the nook of my neck, the small specks of hair on my arms risen. "Sorina, surgō," I hear the person beside me whisper. Then, the feeling of someone's presence disappears.

I feel the life being sucked out of me; I can feel that all strength I have left in me slowly being drained out. Soon, the room begins to fill with darkness. I am engulfed into darkness where I feel, see and hear nothing.

I already know, I can already tell that I'm dead. I wait for the inevitable where the darkness consumes my conscious mind. But a small speck of light appears in my view, slowly growing brighter and brighter. Filling up my view, until all I see is white. As my eyes adjust to the sudden brightness, I can hear a stream of water. My hearing develops into hearing water crashing against rocks. I can't see anything, but I picture a waterfall falling into a creek. Finally, I see the waterfall myself. My eyes are on the clear blue water falling from a cliff. I feel the waterfall's spray of water as it falls. I look around and I notice that I'm surrounded by trees. Trees with wooden and green leafy vines wrapping around the trunk, slowly consuming it whole.

There is only a small, circular opening to the sky above. I don't know where I am and I don't know how I got here. I can't tell if I am dead or if this is a dream. But I stand beside the creek, feeling and hearing the water being pushed from the waterfall. My body, abruptly, starts moving on its own accord. I feel the coldness of the water touch my bare feet. I continue moving further and further towards the waterfall until the water reaches my knee. I stop. I try to get out of the water but my legs can't move. I feel as though I'm back in the same body as before, unable to move as if I am only looking through someone else's eyes. I could feel my heart beats harden and my breaths quicken. I could feel the blood rushing through my body and the sudden feeling that something is looking for me is strong. I could hear the wind rustling through the trees, making me anxious and worried that someone is nearby.

As I frantically search around, I hear it again. "Sorina," a soft, echoing voice calls.

Abruptly, my eyes open and I am staring directly at my desk. It was only a dream, I sigh. I move to lay on my back and stare at the ceiling. The light seeping through my curtain creates a yellowish glow in my room. I keep thinking of the dream before the memory of it disappears. This dream was different; it didn't feel like a figment of my imagination but it truly felt like a memory. That I have experienced everything in that dream or am going to experience it.