Seven

I'm in denial.

I tried to pretend that I never had that conversation with Dani at the church about Reyna and Sergeant Fields. I can't be thrown into a deeper end of complete oblivion. My mind is already preoccupied with one thing.

But I keep thinking about it. For more than a week, I have been thinking that there is a seventeen year old Reyna Fields at school. I can't believe it. I can't believe that the person I know doesn't exist.

I reason to myself that the person I did meet lied to me. That her name isn't Reyna and she played some sick prank on the new girl. The more I repeat it in my mind, I realise how much I'm trying to convince myself when in reality, I know it's something different. But I can't accept it – it's ridiculous and stupid. I don't believe in ghosts, they don't exist.

Brian told me that I made Reyna up and found out who is from a trophy case. He said she was my imaginary friend. What if it's true? What if Reyna Fields is just from my imagination? Have I really become crazy?

I take my laptop and search 'Deaths at Havenwood High School'. I only found one relevant result with the name Reyna Fields and Havenwood in. I immediately click on the link. When the browser finish loading, I find myself staring at a photocopy print of a newspaper seventeen years ago. My eyes land on the picture of Reyna Fields.

My heart drops. Reyna Fields... the beautiful girl with blonde curls framing her heart-shaped face and bright blue eyes, is framed in the website. It is the same girl I met at school. Completely identical. I begin to read the article.

On the Twenty-first of September, the town of Havenwood has experience one of the most tragic deaths. Reyna Fields, 17, died in the tragic fire at Havenwood High School. Field was in the cafeteria while the remaining students was at the School Courtyard having their lunch. The cause of the fire was found to originate from the nearby school laboratory. Fire Department whom investigated the fire said two boys were in the laboratory during lunch and school equipment went out of control. The two boys managed to escape and are now in police custody.

Unfortunately, the fire spread before the fire department could reach the school in time and consumed the school cafeteria with Fields inside. Her body was discovered after the fire was put down, burnt alive. The daughter of Sergeant Henry Fields and Mrs. Sarah Fields mourns for their daughter. Field's parents and brother are holding a funeral on October first. May she rest in peace.

I pause. I reread the article two – three – times. Reyna passed away seventeen years ago. It's true. Reyna Fields passed away seventeen years ago. I don't know what to say, what to think, what to believe. I take a deep breath and close my eyes. The poor girl died in a fire more than seventeen years ago. Why can I see her then? What connection do we have?

I look back at the article and read the first sentence and feel my blood drain from my face. Reyna died on the twenty-first of September. Seventeen years later, I died in Havenwood as well, on the twenty-first of September. Is that why I can see Reyna's ghost?

No... no. Reyna can't be a ghost. Also, I can't be the only person at this school that can see her. There are surely others that can see her. This must all be a big prank. Perhaps there is just another girl who looks exactly like Reyna. It's impossible for her to be a ghost. It's crazy.

But it can't be a coincidence, can it? We died on the same date, but why did she remain dead whereas I lived? What makes her any different from me? Why are we connected? I feel my mind ache with pain. I close my computer and look away, finding myself staring at my own reflection.

I don't know what to believe anymore. But I don't think I can believe that the Reyna I met, is dead and I'm seeing her ghost. Or I truly have gone insane and started imagining her everywhere. I really wish it is the latter.