Thirty-Two

I came home past midnight last night and dad caught me. The night ended with dad yelling at me for breaking the rules, becoming rebellious and being grounded for the rest of my life. In truth, I didn't care. I just hugged him, glad that it was all over. I didn't have to worry about the end of the world nor did I have to worry about saving everyone's lives. I've done my part. It's time I get back to my life.

But I knew it wouldn't be the same. Last night, everything changed. I couldn't drop everything and go back to my normal life anymore. I couldn't leave Melissa and Isaac by themselves, and I couldn't let Dani understand whatever is happening to her by herself. I'm still unsure how she came back but I plan to find out. My first thought is that she is one the Night Watchers but deep down I knew she isn't.

Isaac is supposed to come by today before we go to school. Isaac agreed to wipe dad, Lily and Brian's memory of my past behaviour. It's all over now and they don't need to worry anymore. I cautiously walk down the stairs, not ready to experience the silent treatment from dad. I can hear Lily and dad talking in the kitchen. I stand beside the archway, away from their line of sight.

"I don't want coffee today," dad mutters.

"Are you sure?"

Dad grunts in response. I cringe with guilt. Dad is even behaving rudely towards Lily and that's my fault. Taking a deep breath, knowing this will be over soon, I enter the kitchen and keep my head held down. I take a seat next to Brian and look at my breakfast.

I can feel eyes on me but I prevent myself from looking at them. I begin eating my breakfast, hoping that none of them would speak to me.

"Morning Senera," Lily greets, her voice soft and kind.

"Morning," I reply.

Oatmeal. I never liked oatmeal but knew this is the only meal I will be eating today morning. It must be a punishment given by dad, making me eat oatmeal. I grab the banana from the fruit bowl and cut them into littles pieces into my oatmeal.

"So you're giving me the silent treatment?" I hear dad say. I look up at him, my eyes widen.

"What? No," I reply.

Dad puts his work papers down and arch an eye brow with me. "You're in no position to be angry at me, young lady," dad says, with a stern voice.

Wait, what? "I'm not angry," I confess.

"You left the house against my will and sneaked out last time, for who knows how long. You came back home past midnight looking like you fell out of a garbage can," dad says.

Well, actually it was fighting against a demon who wanted to end the world, but close enough. "I won't do it again, I promise," I say.

"You said that last time," dad frowns.

"No, actually. I never did," I admit.

Dad stares at me and I could tell he is annoyed. "What?" he says. Woops. I probably should've kept my mouth shut. Before dad could say anything, the doorbell rings.

"That must be Isaac," I announce, immediately leaving the kitchen.

"Who's Isaac?" dad's voice echoes in the kitchen. "There's another boy?"

I open the door. Isaac stands on my porch, wearing his school uniform, thick framed glasses and hair perfectly parted to the side. It's hard to believe that he has another life where he ventures into a world of ghosts and demons.

"Just in time. Dad isn't letting this go," I state, pulling Isaac inside the house by his arms.

Isaac stumbles into the house. He regains his balance, straightens his jacket and pushes up his glasses. "Where are they?" Isaac asks. I rather not have my family being wiped but I knew it was for the better. If I wanted to get back to a somewhat normal life, then I needed them to forget how strange I have been acting recently.