Fifteen

I didn't sleep last night. Rather, I laid awake and stared out my window. I hoped that I was going to see Reyna again and speak to her, but I was also hoping that I'd see one of the Night Watchers ready to help. But I knew looking out the window, hoping they'd come, was just blind faith. They're not coming.

I hope Jaxon stays true to his words and investigate the vision. But I doubt it. I don't trust Jaxon... I don't trust any of them.

I feel very vulnerable and hopeless. I need to prove Reyna's dream. But how? How can I do that? Do I look for another ghost? But they would do no good. They won't believe the words of a ghost, regardless of how many ghosts I bring to them.

Morning came and I knew what I had to do. The only choice I have is to find more ghost. But where am I going to find another ghost? I did not see any ghosts other than Reyna. She is the only ghost I know of. Only a Tracker can find a ghost but I'm not a Tracker.

The only place I could think of that would be able to help me summon a ghost is the local library. I enter the library. The same smell of musty old books fills my senses. I look around and notice the same people in the library. The small child sitting in the children's area, reading a book and the old man roaming the shelves. But this time, both the child and the man are looking at me. I ignore their stares.

I then see Melissa. I contemplate whether I should approach her. I remember her eyes last night, she was second guessing. She was worried and I can tell she's worried that the vision is potentially true. She hasn't spot me yet. I stand at the front entrance, watching her.

Something is bothering her. She places the last book from her trolley onto the shelf. She begins to push the trolley towards my direction and I begin to panic.

Before I could leave the library, Melissa's eyes flick up and sees me. She lets go of the trolley and she whispers my name. For a regular person, no one would be able to hear her but considering I'm not a regular person, I can. I turn and head to the door. I almost manage to leave but she catches me. How did she get here so fast? "Senera, what are you doing here?" she asks.

I pause. I don't know what to say. I couldn't tell her that I am trying to find books on how to summon a ghost because I know exactly what her response would be. "School paper," I blurt out. She's not convinced.

"About what? Ghosts?" she arches an eye brow.

I cough, "No," I reply.

"I know what you're doing, Senera. You have to let it go. You don't even want to be a Night Watcher – forget what the wraith said," Melissa persuades.

I shake my head. "How could you ever ask me to forget something like that?" I say. "Someone warned me... someone shown me what will happen to the world. I can't ignore an image like that." I was beyond annoyed.

"I know and you're right. A warning like that can't be ignored. But Jaxon is looking into it like he said – he is investigating as we speak and you shouldn't worry about it. Get on with your life... just like you wanted," Melissa assures me.

I stare into her eyes. I can't read her expression. Is she genuinely worried about me or disappointed in me? They know I don't want to be part of their group, but I am helping them. Shouldn't they be a little relieved about that?

Regardless, I don't feel relief. It's not enough. I don't care if Jaxon is a police officer or a Tracker. There has to be more we can do. Jaxon doesn't believe me and that just makes me think he won't thoroughly check.

"That's not enough."

Melissa sighs. "Senera, you don't even want to be a Whisperer. So why do you care so much?" she asks.