Twenty-One

After school, Lucan and I went in the forest.

Yesterday, we found out how to summon a Draguis. It wasn't easy looking for the summoning potion. Information about Draguis are very limited in Melissa's library. I'm surprised we actually found it at the end.

It was different from summoning a Reaper but somewhat same. We needed a variety of ingredients that I have no idea where to get from. Lucan skipped school in order to gather all the ingredients before we had to patrol in the forest.

"Did you get everything?" I ask Lucan.

Lucan nods, "It's all there," he responds.

"You just left them all there?" I frown.

"Yes and they are hidden. No one would be able to find it," Lucan assures.

"Right," I answer. I'm nervous. Actually, I'm scared. I am going to be seeing the man who is potentially the one who wishes to kill all souls in this world. All day at school, I've been thinking over what we would be doing. I am starting to think this isn't a good idea. Meeting the enemy is always the stupid thing to do.

"How was school?" Lucan awkwardly asks.

I frown, "Since when did you care about how my day has been?" I ask, confused.

"Ever since you started fidgeting," he remarks. I notice my hands are constantly fiddling with something, either my hair, shirt, bag strap or a leaf I pulled off a tree. I let go of the leaf in my hand and cross my arms. He is right, I'm nervous and I need to distract myself.

"It was okay," I answer. "I barely paid any attention."

"Why not?" he asks.

"I kept thinking about today," I state. I need to distract myself. Bring up anything other than what will happen today or anything about today. "Uh... how did you meet the others?" I ask.

"Others?"

"Yeah, the others. You know, Jaxon, Isaac and Melissa. How did you all meet?" I ask.

Lucan pushes away a long branch away from path. He allows me to go first before following behind. He lets go of the branch and allow it to swing back to place. "Jaxon was the first to discover his powers," Lucan begins. "Being the first one to discover your destiny is never easy. As the Tracker, his ability led him to the cave. There, he started to read the books hidden in the cave and had to make sense to it all."

"That's terrible. He had to learn all this by himself?" I ask.

Lucan shakes his head, "No. A ghoul was there to guide him," he answers.

I frown, "A ghoul? But don't they eat corpse?" I ask, feeling disgusted.

Lucan nods, "Yes but some ghouls were condemned in the ghost realm, to forever be loyal to Night Watchers," he explains. They're the ones Jaxon went to see, his sources.

"If they are condemned in the ghost realm, how did they guide him?"

"Ghouls can show themselves in our world but they don't exist in our world. Rather, they are like a holographic video call when you see them in the living realm," he explains.

"Interesting," I whisper.

"After Jaxon discovered his powers, he knew he had to wait for the others to arrive, for them to die and discover their abilities. Melissa died by camping under a Eucalyptus tree. She abruptly had a blood clot and immediately died. Jaxon found her soon when he heard around town that Melissa was telling everyone she could see ghosts," Lucan explains. He laughs, remembering the moment as though he was there. He probably was there.