Eleven

Ever since the night I talked to Reyna in the woods, I've been waiting for her to return like she said. In the past twelve hours, I've been searching for her and waiting for her. I don't know how much longer I can be patient.

Both Isaac and Lucan are missing. I wonder what they are hiding? There's something about them that doesn't make sense. Why are they so exclusive? I don't see how Lucan and Isaac are friends when one of them hates listening to the other. Their friendship never made sense to me from the beginning.

"You seem more distracted than usual. Are you okay?" Dani breaks my thoughts.

I look at her. We are both heading to our lockers to finish off for the day. "Yeah, I am," I lie.

"Well you don't look like you are."

"Nothing really. Brian is just annoying me," I tell her.

Brian was annoying me recently. For some reason, Brian has started to be a bit friendlier with me than usual. Which means one thing... he wants something from me. My immediate thought is that he wants me to introduce him to Lucan because he knows Lucan can talk and he talks to me.

"What's he doing this time?"

"I don't want to even think about it," I groan.

Dani takes the hint and let it go. "Have you ever been to a drive-in cinema?" Dani asks.

They still exist? "Um, no I haven't," I reply.

"Well, they are having one Friday night. Do you want to go?"

"Sure." I need a distraction. I can't continue living on like this, constantly thinking about Reyna and that night. I need to move on with my life and pretend none of this ever happened; at least for one night.

"Awesome. I need to go but I'll see you tomorrow," she says.

"Alright, bye."

I watch her rush to her locker. Our lockers are quite apart from each other. Mine is closer to the science building while hers is closer to the arts building. It's mostly to do with our timetables. Dani loves art. During her spare time, I always see her drawing. Sometimes during lunch, we'd be in the art studio where she paints and I just sit and eat. Maybe even do some homework.

The only time I feel like I can concentrate, well enough, for school work is at school. During lunch I try to study because whenever I go home, I only think about Reyna, Lucan, the shadow man and that night.

When I reach the hallway with my locker, it is practically empty. No one was here except for me. People must've already left. It's normal. I usually have my class all the way on the other side of the school at the end of the day. I don't know why my locker is here when I only come to this side of the school twice a week.

I hear a loud slam of a door. Instantly, I hear so many things at the same time. Screaming, birds, talking, cars, walking, trees rustling, knocking... so many things at once. It's all happening again. The sound becomes so loud I could barely stand. I fall onto my knees, pressing my hands against my ears.

I fall onto the ground, laying there in a fetal position. The noise is only getting louder. I cry out in pain, hoping someone will find me. But I'm alone and no one is going to find me.

"Go away," I cry.

I can hear thousands of whispers. I can't distinguish a single one. I didn't want to. I want it to stop. I can hear car motors, car door shutting and so much more. It's every sound I can think of but none of them are close by. The sound is unbearable, creating a loud screeching noise.