Twelve

Our chemistry lab timetable has changed. Due to the fire, nearly everyone, who studies a science, timetable has changed. Although the chemistry lab was not burnt down, there is a lot of damage from the fire. Now we have our chemistry lab time and our chemistry class swapped.

I feel guilty that I didn't turn myself to the school. I begin to wonder if those two boys in the class were ghosts considering I have never seen their uniform before nor have I seen them anywhere else around school.

Stop it! I tell myself. You have to forget about ghosts, they're not part of your life anymore. My inner thoughts are right. I promised myself I wouldn't think about it anymore. I sit patiently at my lab counter while other students arrive.

Mr Jefferson is standing in the front of the class organising some papers. We have about two more minutes until class starts and I'm waiting for the one person I actually hope won't show. I'm not ready to see my lab partner again, especially since it was only two days since he and his group told me about what they think I am.

I look at my notes, scribbling random symbols on the corner of the paper. I hear the door open and I glance at the door. The person walking into the room is a girl with dark, strawberry blonde hair. "Tili, over here," says someone else. The girl smiles at someone behind me. Behind her, standing in the hallway, is Isaac. He's standing with Lucan. They're talking to each other in hushed voices.

I stare at the two of them as the door closes. I could only see them through the door window. They don't notice me. They were too engrossed in their own conversation. Abruptly, I could start hearing every word they're saying. The words I hear are in sync with the movement of their lips.

"It's been two days, she had enough time to think about it," Isaac pushes.

"No. Leave her alone; she will get through this on her own and if she decides she wants to be with us or learn how to control her powers, she will come to us," Lucan responds.

"What if she doesn't ever want our help? What if she doesn't accept her fate and continue to live like the living?" I can hear concern in Isaac's voice. They want me to join their group desperately, but I don't think I can be one of them.

"Then we won't have a Whisperer. It's not like we ever needed one anyways," Lucan retorts. It's not always something you'd want to hear that you are not wanted or needed. But that should be a good thing. They won't keep pushing me to join their group and they won't keep trying to convince me that I am like them.

They're wrong about me. I'm not the Whisperer. I'm just a regular human being that just happened to be an exception to their 'no humans can hear ghost' rule.

"We have survived this long without her. Besides, since when did we need someone to be able to talk to ghost for us. We don't need an interpreter," he adds.

"Yes, you're right," Isaac agreed. "But the Night Watchers are a group of five. Together, we're stronger!"

Lucan sighs, "Look, we don't know what will happen. If she's really the Whisperer, she'll come back because her powers will get out of control. She will need our help to control them," Lucan says. He's right. If I'm the Whisperer, my powers are going to get worse and I have to learn to how to control it. "Just don't act weird around her." Lucan walks away. I move my attention away from them. I used that... power again. I shake my head, trying to get the thought out of my head. No, I'm not going to think about this. I'm not one of them.

Isaac enters the room and I try to avoid eye contact. From the corner of my eyes, I can see him heading towards our counter. I could tell by the way he is breathing that he's nervous. I pretend to not notice his attitude and continue pretending to read over my notes.