Twenty-Four

Three days has passed and the of them still couldn't comprehend what happened. I haven't told them anything about ghosts or the war but I could tell they are starting to realise there could be other creatures in this world. Brian has been acting a little differently around me and he has been defending me more often around dad.

I still haven't told the others about this. I don't know if I want to tell them. They can't know any of this. Yet, it feels good that they know. I would be able to tell them everything and they would be able to help me if dad needs to find out where I am. But I knew better. There is a reason why I didn't want to tell them in the first place and they have to stay oblivious as to what is really happening.

But I still kept it to myself, trying to think over this. During lunch, I sit with Dani in our usual spot under the tree. She would try to bring Annabeth back up once in a while but I never had an answer to give her. It was the first time seeing a ghost harm a human being and what is surprising is that Annabeth was burning when she touched the water of that creek. Why was the creek hurting her?

I don't understand why Annabeth would take her to the very place she could get hurt. If the water of that creek makes her burn, then she wouldn't have taken Dani there. She would take her anywhere else other than that place. But that waterfall, I dreamt about it before. I heard it so many times. I can't believe it actually exists, hidden in the Crossnight Rainforest. I don't know if anyone even knows of its existence.

Then she disappears. Did she die or did she go back to the ghost realm? Ghost can't die so surely she went back to the other realm. What is even more confusing, is when Annabeth told me that I would not be able to find something I already found. Did she mean Eve? Who else would be she mean? If I already know where Eve is, then who is she? Do I already know her? Everything about that night confuses me. I don't know what to believe and what not to believe.

One thing I know for certain about that night is Draven saved us all. He protected us and made sure that we didn't get hurt from Annabeth. If it wasn't for Draven, we probably would have been dead. But now I am facing two problems. One is finding Eve to stop the end of the world and the other is Brian and Dani. Every day at home, Brian would ask me and every day at school Dani would ask me. Sometimes Brian would approach me at school and sometimes Dani would come to my home. But most of the time, I just try to avoid them as much as possible.

"Senera, there you are!" Brian says, just on cue. He sits next to Dani. Brian, of course, has been friendlier with me lately after finding out what happened. "We need to talk," he says.

"Yes, I agree. You still haven't explained to us what happened that night," Dani agrees.

I groan. Not again. "I don't know what to tell you," I say honestly.

"Why didn't you tell us about this before? That there are dead people in the world that wants to kill us?" she asks.

"Oh and what? Have you guys tell me I'm going nuts?" I arch an eye brow.

"I know it sounds crazy but you could've showed us. We would've believed you. Is that the reason why you've been acting so strangely lately?" Brian asks. This is the seventh time Brian asked me this question.

I groan and look away from them, more fascinated in my sandwich. I want them to be the people I can go to and know we wouldn't worry about ghosts. Even though Brian and I are never on good terms, at least I can expect the same thing from him. Pretend that whatever is happening in the world is not really going to happen.

"Look, whatever happened that night will only happen on that night," I say.

"You're a bad liar," Brian states.