0.1

0.1 | prologue

+ADRIANNA HOSK
THU | 13:30

A TEAR ESCAPED MY eye as my sister told me her bad news. However, 'bad news' was an understatment. She has lung cancer. She's at stage III, so it's treatable, yet, crucial that her help starts sooner rather than later before the tumour spreads even further.

Unfortunately, the expense of the medical costs would be extortionate considering that neither I, nor my sister had the kind of money that could possibly save her life, us living a middle-class lifestyle. So this was very bad news.

[18:15]
          In the evening, I'd decided on seeing someone that usually aids me in finding big amounts of cash, and very quickly. It was getting to the point where I told myself that I'd do anything: even dance on a pole if it meant that my sister would be granted a fighting chance. She's my role-model, my best friend and usually the only person I can count on for definite now that our parents have passed.

I knocked on Mr. Peterson's office door and heard him shout a quick reply from the other side. I hesitantly opened the door and greeted him, walking over to the seat across from him at his desk. I always loved coming to visit him; his office was a dream to look at, so polished and extravagant. He'd always give me inspiration for how to decorate my own home and every time I'd come for help, something would be different in this room.

"Good morning, Miss. Hosk." He smiled warmly at me.

"Good morning, Mr. Peterson." I said, returning his bright smile as best as I could. Janine' mood this afternoon after she informed me on her situation was depleted and even quite sour, it'd rubbed off on me.

"I understand you're looking for a quick cash influx?" He confirmed, raising an eyebrow to suggest he wanted me to elaborate. I nodded vigorously and let out a shaky sigh before replying.

"Yes, I recently got some terrible news that's expensive to fix. Money is my only hope." My head dipped subtly in slight distress as my sister hopped back into my mind.

"Well, I'm sorry about whatever it is that's put you in this position but I'm delighted to tell you Miss. Hosk, that today is you're lucky day!" He grinned, opening a file and spreading it out in front of me to take a look at.

"Who are they?" I asked as my eyes fell on two attractive, young men in suits with neutral expressions on their faces.

"These wealthy entrepreneurs are Ethan and Grayson Dolan. They are the founders of 'Ever Giving Donations,' (e+g.d) that relatively new, famous charity that's been the most successful cancer organisation for about two years now." He explained, thumbing through a couple of pages frantically.

"How do you know about Janine's cancer?" I panicked, trying to steady my breathing.

I guess I'm not as mentally strong to work my way through this life obstacle as I might've imagined if I'm breaking down at the mere mention of the word: Cancer.

"I didn't." He cleared his throat and looked at me sorrowfully before continuing.

Mr. Peterson has been my handyman, so to speak, for a while now. He offers me deals that often hold a certain illegitimacy to them but I take the opportunities as frequently as possible, anything for money when you're in need.

"Anyway, they're hosting a dinner party tomorrow night and there will be a game... Win the game and you will walk out of their house one million dollars richer, guaranteed." He chuckled lowly. "But they do have to approve of you first."

I processed the information that he'd just told me and tried to come up with a reasonable logic to giving a stranger one million dollars for winning a game. They must be filthy rich but I was practically begging for their wealth so who was I to complain about their prize.

"I'll do it." I announced, clearing my throat of the phloem inside, collecting due to my nervousness.

"I'll send over your details and have them check you over. If they approve, you'll get a call from me within the hour. If they don't, there'll be no call." He clarified, typing at his keyboard.

"Okay. Thank you very much, Mr. Peterson." I graced him as I walked out of his office.

"Thank you, Adrianna." He nodded as I closed the door.

DESPERADO
Copyright © All Rights Reserved