2.2

2.2 | just keep swimming

+ETHAN DOLAN
MON | 10:50

MY MOM SMILED GROGGILY as she came into the room, a silk robe covering her modesty as she sat on the couch, "good morning, Eth."

"What's for breakfast?" She called to me from the living room while I was idly buttering some toast in the kitchen.

"Adrianna made a fry up before going back to bed." I answered, raising my voice so I'm audible.

"Oooh." I heard her mutter as the sofa shifted from her getting up.

"Pass me that." She commanded, pointing at the marmite. I can't understand how she likes the stuff.

"Here," I slid it over.

She stuck her knife in the pot and began to spread the brown mixture over her toast as she reached for the bacon strips and some of the omelette that Adrianna had fried.

"You're quiet." She hummed whilst decorating her plate with food.

"Not really." I mumbled, filling my glass with some orange juice.

"What's wrong?" She sighed, placing her hand on my forearm.

"Nothing." I shrugged it off, taking my food into the living room as I placed my plate on the coffee table and swiped the tv remote.

I sat down comfortably and began to search for anything interesting that I could've got into on the television.

"Clearly something's wrong..." My mom continued once she'd taken her old seat back, biting into a sausage.

"Nope." I responded, popping the 'p' sound.

"Will you stop bullshiting me, Ethan Grant Dolan, and just tell me what's wrong?" She exhaled, tired of beating around the bush.

"The walls are pretty thin and sound echoes."

"Huh?" She frowned.

"You, and Grayson. You're little chat about how Ade 'likes him more' or whatever the fuck you said."

"Language," she warned.

"Why would you say that?"

"Ethan, baby, you know I wouldn't say it to be intentionally cruel. It was just my personal observation but I've hardly been here long. I love you and Grayson the same and I don't want it to come across like I'm picking sides, my love." She cooed, rubbing my cheek as she scooted a little closer to me.

"It just seems like you're rooting for Grayson. I think you even used that exact word."

"No Ethan! I didn't actually, I never even said she liked him more. All I said is that he seemed to have a great effect on her and that if he really wanted Adrianna he'd have to try harder because she's torn. I'd never say 'I'm rooting for you', what do you take me for?!"

"Okay, okay. I'm sorry ma. I'm just worried."

"... Worried about what?"

"Worried that she likes him more." I responded in a 'duh' tone. I looked down at my plate and sighed.

"Oh!" She exclaimed solemnly, "what have I raised?!"

"Excuse me?"

"I did not bring you and your brother up to be sad and pathetic love sods that mope around over some girl. Ade seems lovely but really Ethan?! Get. A. Grip." She smacked my head.