Part 10: Accidental Rider

"I cannot believe you tricked me into becoming a dragon rider!" I accused Hiccup, waving my fork at him and splattering baked beans halfway across the table. He shovelled a mouthful of Beef Stroganoff in and gave me a shrug.

"If the Norns decree, then so be it," he told me calmly, chewing. Another thing I can't believe if how much he eats! He must have hollow legs-and he's still irritatingly skinny. "Look, you saved her life because I don't think I could have stalled Spitelout much longer." I stared at him. "X26 has been a problem for a while and needed someone strong, intelligent and female."

"What do you mean?" My voice had gone cold and he stared at me, putting his fork down.

"X26 is a female and we are pretty light on the feistier sex in the unit," he told me. "She has rejected every male contact-you saw her reject me out of hand!"

"Feistier?" He blushed and grabbed his fork again-though probably for protection from me.

"Erm...better adjective than the traditional one?" he offered urgently, seeing my eyes glitter. "Astrid-erm-have you got any other adjectives you want? Please don't kill me..." I grinned at his momentary uncertainty. He was sarcastic, smart and decisive when it came to his dragon duties but otherwise he was still easy to tease, utterly lacking in confidence with women and self-effacing.

"Forceful?" I suggested.

"No argument here," he said, still waving his fork for protection.

"Fierce?"

"Ohh, more than you can imagine."

"Fantastic?" I was pushing my luck now.

"Of course!" he added quickly.

"Flatterer!" I accused him.

"Do I get to live?" he asked me. I nodded and he exhaled in relief then shovelled another mouthful in.

"Why a female rider?' I asked him. He shrugged.

"The best pairings seem to work where rider and dragon share a similar character and personality," he explained after chewing furiously for a moment. "Toothless and I are both curious, daredevils and above average intelligence." I filed the information away for future reference. Daredevils? Oh-that was definitely going to need some explaining! "Snot and Hookfang are both strong, reckless and aggressive. The Nadder X26 is beautiful, smart, protective, fast and determined. Sound like anyone you know?" His green eyes were staring deep into mine as he finished and I smiled at the compliments. For someone who'd not had much practice at talking to girls, he was certainly getting the hang of it fast! Then he blushed slightly and turned back to his plate.

"Thanks," I said quietly. "But how am I going to learn how to fly her and care for her? Especially with Finals and my Trauma assessments coming up?" Hiccup put his fork down and took a sip of water.

"You are paired with a trainer, an experienced rider who can help and support you as you learn and...um...mentor you through the process," he told me easily. I pulled a face.

"Not Snotface!" I sighed, imagining the utter torment of having that idiot drooling over me.

"Gods, no," he said quickly. "I wouldn't wish him on anyone. And in any case, he's so hopeless he can barely control his own dragon, let alone teach someone else..." Then he rolled his eyes. "Though that hardly stopped him from deciding to train Gustav when Fanghook hatched..."

"Gustav?"

"Mini-Snotlout," Hiccup sighed in exasperation. "He's the youngest recruit and when he bonded, Snotlout instantly decided he was going to be his mentor. They both fly Monstrous Nightmares and they're both reckless, arrogant and wildly overconfident. So, of course, I have to deal with them..." He ran his right hand through his hair again and I felt a surge of sympathy. "No, I'm gonna be your trainer, Astrid."