Part 50: It's You or the General

For those of you worried, the drug used in their 'trank guns' has a wide therapeutic index, meaning you can give a very high dose before you get toxicity eg coma or death. Seven shots is fine and won't kill the hero (but is still painful).

Fifty: It's you or the General...

It had been a week and I still hadn't seen Hiccup. In fact, only the General and I hadn't been to visit him in the cells-probably because we both knew it would be ugly. Well, thinking about it, it was always ugly when Hiccup and his father spoke but this time, I guessed it would be uglier for us as well. And I wanted to put that off as long as possible.

The others had all been to see him, visiting him as he sat locked in his cell, constantly guarded by at least one member of Security and always on camera and I had reviewed every encounter along with Sergeant Grimsdaal, watching his reactions and listening to his words. The others had all been frustrated because all he would say was "sorry" and ask if I was coming. When they said no, he clammed up and I watched as each and every one gave him an absolute verbal pasting. Even I had winced at what they had said and what they called him...but he had simply bowed his head and taken it.

After the week, Snotlout sought me out. "Look, Astrid...Lieutenant... I don't want to make things difficult or upset you...but I really think you need to talk to him. He's not saying anything to anyone and we both know we have to find out what he betrayed and what damage we have to deal with." I stared at him silently: we knew I was probably the most damaged by this. The team had been walking on eggshells around me since his capture, as if they thought I would suddenly collapse into a weeping mess or transmute to a raging psychopath. I gave a small, humourless smile: I had shot Hiccup seven times with my trank gun-that should give them the answer.

"I know," I said tonelessly, "but I really don't want to." Snotlout stared at his feet for a moment then looked carefully at me.

"Look, Astrid," he said softly, "I don't think he's become a bad guy. He's been through so much and he never wavered. I don't know what he was doing joining them...but I'm certain he had a plan. And he's desperate to talk to you. If you don't, the General will...and that won't go well. You owe him a few minutes, at least..." I could feel the scowl twist my face as I glared at him, but he was right. Knowing Hiccup had ultimately given me BERK and Stormfly: I owed him a chance to explain himself.

I felt sick but I headed straight down to the cells, determined to get this over with and move on. The part of me that was still in love with him was screaming at me to listen without prejudice but the soldier was just wanting it over, so I could draw a line under it...under us...and start to mend my broken heart. I showed my pass and was conducted into the cell block, then patted down. I checked my gun in at the desk and was finally taken to the cells.

He was the only prisoner there, sitting on the standard bunk with his knees drawn up to his chest and arms clasped around them like a waif, the horrible scar on his left arm on view. His bare foot and prosthetic were right on the edge of the bed and his shoulders were hunched, his head down. They had him in a grubby white T-shirt and grey sweat pants, his auburn hair unkempt but he looked up at my footsteps and his entire face lit with relief and hope, his forest green eyes shining.

"Astrid," he breathed, scrambling up to get to the bars, his hands gripping the metal tightly. He looked scruffy and thinner than usual, his entire body taut with urgency as he looked at me. I carefully remained well out of reach.

"Hiccup," I said neutrally. "I hear you were asking for me." He nodded eagerly.

"Yes, Milady..." he said quickly but my hand snapped up.