Part 24: You're the leader we have

I awoke with a dead arm, a stiff neck and my pillow was gently snoring. I cracked an eye open, trying to work out where I was. Then I caught a glimpse of a sharply angled jaw, stubble and messy auburn hair and I gave a little smile. I didn't want to wake Hiccup because he had looked utterly exhausted but my arm was completely numb and I had to fidget to get some blood flowing in it. Then I felt the hand gently resting on my waist move and his eyes blearily opened.

Dazed forest green depths stared at me for a long moment-and then he recoiled and exclaimed "AARGH!" He slammed his head back against the wall with a loud thud as he tried to get away and he winced and grabbed at the back of his skull in pain.

"Good morning to you too," I grumbled, running my hands through my hair. I knew I probably looked like a tramp, with hair all over the place and probably some incredibly appealing drool at the corner of my mouth. "Way to make a gal feel attractive!" I added. He grimaced and tried to pull away, suddenly awkward and blushing scarlet.

"Sorry, Milady," he mumbled, rubbing his sore head and I tried not to laugh at his chagrin and his pain. He was very cute when he went all shy. I patted his chest gently, trying to reassure him that I was teasing him.

"Don't worry, Dragon Boy," I smirked and stiffly sat up, running my fingers though my hair again. It felt like a bird's nest. I glanced at my com: 1152. "Urgh. Nearly lunchtime-and I look like I've crashed in a gorse bush!" He slowly sat up, drawing his lanky legs up and grimacing as he pulled on the deep slash in his shoulder. He cracked his neck audibly and winced.

"I look worse," he sighed, stretching his long arms. "Gods...you realise that they'll be talking?"

"I think more about you laying out Snotlout!" I reminded him. He face-palmed.

"Oh Thor," he murmured. "What was I thinking?"

"Maybe...he deserved it?" I laughed, grabbing his hand and squeezing. "He's had it coming for ages, I think. I punched him after being here less than a week. How you lasted five years is beyond me!" He sighed.

"I needed a good reason," he admitted. "I was never enough. But you, Milady..." And he managed a small smile. I grinned back then reluctantly got up. I stretched.

"Okay-I need a shower," I admitted and he edged to the side of the bed and began strapping his leg back on.

"Yeah," he admitted and there was a pause where his expression fell. He stared at the floor for a long time, then pulled himself out of the almost-trance with a visible effort of will. "Astrid-maybe we could-could get lunch?" I looked up at his hesitant tone and grinned.

"Is that a date, Dragon Boy?" I asked and he grinned in relief at my answer as he achingly got to his feet. He limped slightly.

"That's Commander Dragon Boy to you, Lieutenant!" he smiled. "Half an hour?" I nodded.

"Definitely a date, sir!" I saluted and he walked to the door. He looked back and gave small grin before letting himself out and carefully closing the door. I stared after him for a long moment before realising I was still in a very skimpy vest top and my undies and I blushed. Then I remembered- I only had half an hour...

oOo

"Hiccup!"

The young Rider stiffened as the sound of his father's loud voice filled the corridor and lifted his chin with a sigh. He drew his shoulders back and steeled himself for another difficult conversation.

"Yes, Dad?" he sighed. He had flown through his shower and was heading for the Mess. Unusually, he had dressed with some care, padding his lacerated shoulder with one of the dressings he had on standby for his stump and wearing a new and very ironed deep rust red shirt, clean skinny brown jeans and clean sneaker. He had shaved and washed and even attempted aftershave. He suspected he looked like a geeky High School kid on his first date but he couldn't wear a uniform he wasn't entitled to. He ran his fingers nervously through his still-damp auburn hair and turned to face his father. Stoick scowled at him.