Part 65: Return

Sixty Five: Return

With a click, I flipped the safety on and lowered my gun as I stared at 'Little' Liam, Cami's favourite brother.

"One sugar," I said firmly. His eyes widened. "In my coffee. One sugar." Then he flashed the same grin Cami had and scooped a huge heap of sugar in, whirled the spoon around and gestured.

"Glad you said that," he admitted and rested my best carving knife on the counter. "You can never be too careful-especially when dealing with him." I cocked an eyebrow and stuffed my gun back in my bag, then grabbed my coffee. It was too sweet because I actually don't take sugar-but those were the codewords Cami had left me and I trusted her. The letter had been very explicit and said that Liam would explain why she had gone-because he had gotten out. I carefully replaced my knife in the block and then gestured to the couch.

"I think you may need to explain," I suggested with a small smile and he nodded.

"Hey-have you got something for me?" he asked and I fished out the sheath of papers, handing them over. He sighed in relief. "My sis was very insistent," he admitted. "Sure, but she's a bit bossy, you know?" I smiled and sat carefully on the couch, sipping my coffee.

"A bit-but in a military environment, orders are given and you have to obey," I reminded him. Then I grinned. "But she does keep the boys in line-most of the time."

"She said you were a good friend," Liam admitted, his eyes pensive. "I've missed her since we...went." I frowned and stared at the young man. He was younger than Cami so he had to only be maybe fourteen or fifteen when they vanished, four years earlier.

"Are you able to tell me what happened? Or is it a Clan secret?" I asked, recalling Cami's infrequent tidbits on Clan culture. Liam shook his head, his pleasant open face shadowed.

"No," he admitted. "Though it has everything to do with the man you've researched for Cami." I put my cup down and gave him my full attention. "The Clan was travelling when we became aware that we were being tracked. Black vans following us wherever we went. Mam was getting worried-and then, at night, they came for us. They killed the dogs and captured everyone, burning the vans. Mam insisted she took the heirlooms but that was it. We were taken to a warehouse where we were held at gunpoint and then we were gassed and shipped elsewhere. It was cold and the land was black and rocky and..."

"Iceland," I realised. "You were taken to Iceland?" He nodded.

"Some big one-story building in the middle of a black lava field," he began and then saw me nodding. "You've seen it?"

"No-but my boyfriend has," I said. "And been here." Liam frowned and then his eyes widened.

"Been there...you mean the one-legged guy in black-the redhead?" he asked her and I stared and then nodded. Idly, I flipped my phone on and showed him the screensaver-a picture of Hiccup and I hugging. He nodded again.

"What happened there?" I demanded, my voice suddenly stern and he appeared shocked. "Hiccup pretended to join the Hunters and ended up serving Drago Bludvist...but I know Drago treated him very badly..." Liam gave a wry smile.

"That's an understatement," he murmured. "Drago took the Clan to serve him. He kept Mam his hostage, threatening her and making us steal for him. Some were small things...items from private houses, personal collections or offices...but he also had us break into some museums and universities to collect specific items...books, papers...and some jewels. He's a cruel man...and he treats those creatures of his very badly..."

I stared. "Creatures?" I murmured. "You mean...dragons?" He nodded.

"Those of us who weren't deemed necessary for the thefts, were put to work looking after the dragons," he admitted. "I kind of liked them but the others-and Drago's men-were vile to them. They tried to train them by cruelty...but I always found they responded to kindness and trust." A smile tugged my lips then as I looked into his bright blue eyes, so similar to Cami's.