Part 66: Journey to the Centre of B E R K

Sixty Six: Journey to the Centre of BERK.

I had needed to hold the com a long way from my ear when I gave the team the news that Hiccup had woken and his tired face had folded into a grin at the delight they had expressed at the news. There were yells and shouts and he had the cheek to ask me if I had tried kissing him to wake him from his coma. I had blushed and admitted I had only kissed his forehead. He had smiled indulgently at me.

"I seem to recall someone telling me it was 'lips all the way'," he reminded me.

"Shut up, Dragon Boy," I grumbled gently and he smiled.

"Been quiet for far too long," he admitted as I had helped him sit up a little. Wearily, he had run his hand over his face and grimaced: he almost had a scrappy beard and he groaned. "I need a shave," he added.

"Oh, we can sort that out," I promised as I slid onto the bed by him. "Not really a beard person..."

"Thank Thor," he smiled. "Must be why you never ran away with the more successful Haddock..." I stared at him and then pulled a face.

"Bleurgh," I told him definitely. "You're the only Haddock for me. Honestly...it's those green eyes..." He smirked and then the smile fell from his face.

"I thought I heard him," he said quietly. "He was...apologising. He said he was proud of me. It must have been a dream..." I gently stroked his cheek: he had lost weight and his jaw and cheek bones were much sharper but the familiar messy auburn hair framed his worried face and I knew it would be no chore to help him recover.

"He was here," I told him gently. "Gobber told me. He came to see his only son...and apologise." He stared at me. "I called him, when we thought we were losing you. I thought he deserved to know." He stared at me, his eyes wide with shock...and then gratitude.

"He came?" he asked me softly and I nodded.

"He's your Dad," I reminded him. "And he has been making progress, I think. Gobber saw him when he came...because I had something I needed to do for Cami." He sighed.

"I can never thank you enough," he murmured. "I heard him. I-I tried to reach out for him. And then I just went back to sleep. But he came here for me..." He sighed. "I love you, Astrid," he told me gently.

"I love you too, you doofus,' I assured him. "And we're going to get Gothi to check you out and discharge you to my care so I can get you back to the handsome, brilliant, caring man I adore. But first...you owe me a hug, Dragon Boy." His arms wrapped around me and he pulled me close, staring carefully into my eyes.

"I was floating," he murmured softly. "It was black and warm and like being lost in the dark...until I heard you singing. And I fought hard with all my might to get to you, to be with you once more. Don't leave me alone in the dark, Astrid." I leaned in and kissed him tenderly, feeling him lean into the kiss.

"Oh, I am never leaving you, Hiccup," I assured him, resting my head on his shoulder. He leaned back on his pillows and snuggled into me.

"Better not," he mumbled against my neck. "Otherwise I'd end up with Snot as my sidekick and I would have to let Toothless eat him..." I smiled and closed my eyes, snuggled against him.

"That's my Dragon Boy."

oOo

He was released from the Infirmary the next day and though he had a spare prosthetic which he was stubbornly wearing and a pair of arm crutches, I was wheeling him along in a wheelchair-which he was hating-because I wanted to get him to see Toothless as soon as possible. The Night Fury was grumpy, depressed and not eating and he needed his Rider. And Hiccup was frantic to see his beloved dragon once more-so it felt like a personal triumph as we wheeled into Pen One, the other Riders all there standing a guard of honour as he levered himself up to his feet, the crutches used to support him as the dragon saw him and galloped towards him.