-2-

Hinode General Hospital - Tokyo, Japan

Hinata

What did the director just say? What kind of project did he want to assign us to?

"Since Dr. Hyuga looks rather confused," the old man chuckled, before running his fingers through his very, very soft gray hair, "I'll explain again."

I didn't miss the small giggle of amusement coming from the Hanako-senpai, a beautiful woman with long wavy brown hair and perfect almond eyes. My role model, practically. And I always end up acting like a total fool in front of her.

"It's a service project the government wants us to do," Director Soga cleared his throat, "A volunteer service project to be clear; in the small country of Eskon."

"But Dad, no, Director," the other resident, the first year resident from the same graduating class as Kazuki, slipped up on accident. "I heard Eskon is dangerous."

"That is very true but since the UN selected Japan as one of the countries to send in support and aid for the civilian of that country, we cannot really do anything," he sighed. "Your names were the ones the government listed when I received the visit. I'd would much rather have you children safely here, panicking in the emergency room rather than there; believe me but there's nothing I can really do. I apologize."

"It's fine, sir," Hisao-senpai replied. "Everybody needs a little thrill in their life, right?"

Director Soga laughed at Senpai's little comment, "That is very true, Dr. Shizuma; especially for the residents here to gain a little more experience."

I didn't miss the surprised look exchanged between Minako and Kazuki.

"Anyway, you kids leave in about a week and won't be back for a good three months," the director reached into one of his opened cabinets; pulling out a white folder. "All the information you'll need including packing and what not to eat when you get to Eskon is all in this."

He slid the binder across the table before looking directly into my pale eyes, unflinching, "And Dr. Hyuga here will be the one in charge of your team so make sure you read every word in this notebook carefully then rely them to your team."

Now that was a surprise!

I did something I haven't done in ten years. Even when I was bringing patients back from cardiac arrests, I never did it.

But right now, I couldn't help it.

"M-me?" I shuttered!

Director Soga nodded, his warm smile never disappearing, "You have been elected the leader because of how calm you truly are in situations that are beyond terrible."

"But Hanako-senpai is the one that taught me how to," I looked at my senpai over my shoulder. "Shouldn't she be the one in charge? Or Hisao-senpai at least."

"They're the one that selected you to be the leader," he said.

"Why?"

Hanako-senpai full out laughed now; clearly enjoying my naiveness without end.

"All you have to do is make calls and have a weekly meeting with the captains at the base, that's all," Hisao-senpai put a hand on my shoulder, "It's not you'll die or anything."

Yeah, I won't die. But one wrong call or if I miss anything at one of those meetings can harm others.

I'm not ready for that.

"Hey, I know that look," Hanako-senpai finally spoke. "You are very smart, Hinata. You won't mess up and even if you do, this idiot," she briefly grabbed Hisao-senpai's ear. "And I will be there to guide you every step of the way, so don't worry too much, okay?"