Chapter 5: Jealousy

"What's up Hol?" I said, walking into Holly's dorm room and collapsing onto her bed. Her room was girly with pink bed lenin and dainty pink fary lights lacing the walls, but mixed in were various posters of bands and gig tickets stuck to the walls. 

"You won't believe me when I tell you," she almost shouted. "Sophia called me like an hour ago, she was so pissed because Johnny saw you and Gerard in Starbucks and told her, so she called Gerard and he told her he was at home but she knew he was lying, and demanded he came to see her."

"Wait, what? Who the hell is Johnny?"

"Sophia's friend, he's like her best friend. Biker dude, tall like 6 foot, wears a leather jacket?"

"I have no idea," I said. "Wait why is she pissed?"

"Because Gerard doesn't go out with girls!" Holly exclaimed. "So Sophia has never been jealous! This is the first hit of jealousy she's had with Gerard and she is not happy."

"And she's pissed with me?"

"She is seriously pissed with you," Holly said, looking uneasy. "I'm pissed with you girl! What are you doing going on dates with Gerard and not telling me?!"

"It wasn't a date," I laughed. "He asked me to go to one of his art shows and then he asked if I wanted to go for coffee. Nothing happened, and it's not like I'm gonna get a kiss goodbye if Sophia snaps her fingers and sends him running to her!"

"Listen," Holly said. "You need to avoid Sophia. She is not gonna let this one go easily. Nobody ever gets in her way."

"This isn't high school," I said whilst laughing out loud. "What's she gonna do, beat me up?"

****

The next day, I left class with a huge grin on my face as Gerard had text me and asked me to meet him in the nearest park. He wanted me to go back to his dorm with him and teach him guitar. To his dorm. Alone. Gerard. I almost skipped down the stairs out of the university building and into the park over the road. I headed over to the tree where he had instructed me to meet him. I couldn't see him, so I sat down and rested against the trunk of the tree. 

"Isabel!"

I looked up in shock to see Sophia stood above me.

"Sophia, hey, I-"

"You bitch," she spat, lifting me up from the ground by my shirt. 

"What?" I laughed. I thought I would be more afraid, but it turned out I was just amused.

"Don't mess with Gerard," she growled.

"Why?" I responded with a smug grin across my face. "Are you two dating? I didn't notice because you're too ashamed to show it in public."

"He's not interested in you," she laughed. "It doesn't matter what I do with him, he's always going to be into me. Just last night he told me he was in love with me. Any attempt you make at getting close to him, I'll ruin it."

"Whatever suits you," I smiled, pushing her gently so that she was out of my way. "Did I say I was interested in him?"

"I know girls like you," she smirked.

"Not as well as I know girls like you," I grinned. I walked away feeling proud of myself for handling the situation so well, but my hands were shaking due to the confrontation. I quickly called Holly and told her what had happened, before running back to my dorm to recover.

***

Sitting on my bed listening to Underoath, I was distracted from my thoughts when somebody knocked at the door. I got up and opened the door to see Gerard's cute face in front of me.

"Hey," he said. "My art pieces got nominated for another art show next week, so I was wondering if you wanted to join me again? I'll understand if you don't want to- I know it was kinda boring."

"No, I'll be there!" I said enthusiastically. I quickly toyed with the idea of telling him about Sophia but I decided my plan would work best if I seemed like the innocent new girl who didn't get involved in any drama. "My flatmates and I are having a few drinks in a bit if you want to join?"

"I'd love to join!" he said. 

"Come in," I said, stepping out of the way and allowing him into my dorm room. He looked around and admired the posters on the wall and the CDs scattered everywhere.

"You still buy CDs?" he asked, raising an eyebrow.

"I like to buy them," I shrugged. "I don't like illegally downloading, I wanna support new artists."

"Well when I get a band together again, I'll sell you our first CD," he smiled. "Listen, I just wanna ask- did Sophia say anything to you about me?"

"Uhmm...no....why?" I responded, acting like I knew nothing.

"It's nothing," he said. "She can just be a bit temperamental sometimes."

I heard my flatmate calling me into the kitchen so I took Gerard's hand and pulled him up from my bed.

"Come on," I beamed. "Let's get drunk tonight."