18. Tables, Tables, Tables

Crash and Burn - Thomas Rhett (my country lover tbh)

I had sort of been freaking out on and off since Riley had asked me out.

It wasn't just that I was going out on a date with the guy I had been crushing on for two years, I was stressed out by Will's reaction.

He said that Riley might not have been the Prince Charming I thought he was. I knew it was probably just alpha rivalry, but I couldn't help wondering if it had a deeper meaning.

I had spent a large part of the morning in the shower, scrubbing, shaving, exfoliating and any thing else you can think of.

I even plucked my eyebrows which was really an indicator of how important the date was. Eyebrow maintenance is tricky and painful, only the most important events warranted that treatment.

After I had spent an hour slumped against my sofa, staring at my wardrobe, I called for reinforcements.

"Well, it's hard to pick an outfit when you don't know where you're going," Emma pointed out.

"Try impossible," I whined, falling back onto my bed in defeat.

"See, if you went out with a nice guy instead of a sleaze, you wouldn't be having this problem," Willow voiced her unwelcome thoughts as I heard her flip a page of the magazine she was engrossed in.

"Thanks," I replied sarcastically.

"You're welcome," she mused distractedly.  

"You can't go wrong with a skirt, it looks like you made an effort, but is still casual as the same time," Emma suggested helpfully.

"What if we're going rock climbing?" I pointed out the flaw in the plan.

"Please, he's picking you up at seven, you're going for dinner," Em waved away my doubts.

"Very original," Willow sighed.

Emma threw a skirt across the room so that it landed on my head, blocking my vision. I pulled if off and looked at it. It was a tight leather skirt, something I would never wear.

"This isn't even mine," I threw it back at her.

"Because I'm a great friend, I'm letting you borrow it," she chucked it back at me.

"I would never wear something like this," I held it up.

"You used to dress like that," Willow commented. I glared at her, even in my rebellious days I would not have worn the skirt. I wore dark jeans only.

"Well what do you want to wear," Emma gave me a 'I'm so done' look. "Cowboy boots perhaps?" She suggested sarcastically, but I wasn't completely opposed to the idea.

"Well maybe," I mumbled quietly, knowing she's disapprove. Her mouth fell open as she heard me.

"Listen Malia, just because we live in Montana does not mean we have to dress like we live on a ranch," she chastised me, a mean look on her face.

Who knew she took fashion so seriously?

"Sutton loves on a ranch and I haven't once seen her in cowboy boots," I pointed out, instantly regretting it as I saw a dark look cross her face.

"You are not wearing cowboy boots, however, if you insist on going for the sweet, country girl look, I will allow ankle boots," she chucked yet another skirt at me.

This one was more flowy, with a floral pattern, much more to my taste.

"This is much better," I smiled at her as she seethed.