41. Kisses

You're The Best - Wet (another song that inspired this book, give it a listen!)

***

"I know what happened to you in Portland. I read my mom's files," he looked guilty, but at the same time not apologetic.

His mom was my therapist when I first moved to Portland. I was shocked and my heart was beating erratically, but I wasn't angry like it maybe should have been. I felt an unexpected feeling of relief, of comfort.

"How long have you known?" I asked as my heart swelled.

"I've always known. That's why I talked to you on your first day at school. I guess I didn't want you to be alone. I never told Emma and I didn't tell I knew because I figured you'd tell us when you were ready," he stopped speaking and looked out over the calm lake.

"I've been watching you change over the years. I obviously knew about your touching phobia, I did tell Em about that. I've been doing what I can to help you out here and there. You were always so strong, it baffled me that you could walk around like nothing happened. I had nightmares for weeks after reading how you recounted it. You were strong, but when Will came, I don't know, you seemed to shine. I'm guessing he knows?"

I nodded. Part of me was in shock, another part of me always knew there was something about Peter. I felt like crying as he told me everything. I had always felt alone, never realising that Peter was right there for me all along. He had reached out to me, fully aware of the risks of being associated with me. It made me love him even more, I thought the affection for him might burst my heart.

"He's not scared Malia, he thinks you're worth the risk. I can just tell," he commented wisely. I always said he was wise for his age.

"It doesn't look that way right now," I chuckled bitterly, looking over my shoulder to where Will was dipping Valentina, his whole body contoured against her.

"That's just dancing, I'm sure he'd much rather have you in his arms," he also looked to them.

"That's my point exactly. I want to be in his arms. I just can't get over the fear," I felt a tear cascade down my cheek.

"One day you will Malia, and one day I'll get out of this chair and maybe we'll have our happy endings. But for right now, we've got each other," he looked at me, a small smile on his cheek.

"That's very true, thank you so much Peter, for everything," I told him sincerely. I stood up and went to him. I placed my hand on his cheek and kissed him gently, just above his lips. It was a friendly kiss, nothing romantic about it. It was just a silent thank you.

"Am I interrupting something?" Will asked, appearing next to us just as I was drawing away from Peter.

"I thought you were dancing?" I had seen him over there only a minute ago.

"I wanted to dance with you," he said slowly.

"I don't do dancing. I'll see you later Peter," I felt angry at Will, who seemed to be angry at me. Why was I his second choice for dancing? He only wanted to dance with me after he had given all of his attention to Valentina.

"Gee Malia, you sure hand your kisses out like free candy," he said, sounding spiteful as I stormed up to the cabin, him following me. He called me Malia, which meant he was really pissed. It sounded foreign on his tongue.

"I was saying thank you to Peter. You know I would never do that to Emma. Do you think that lowly of me Will?" I spun on him just as we reached the cabin.

Everyone was watching us from the fire, but they couldn't hear what we were arguing about, thankfully.

"I don't know what to think. First you're flirting with me, then you're all over Isaac and the next minute you're kissing Peter," he waved his hands dramatically.