Chapter 1- Annual arms Competition

Handing over his horse to a new recruit to be fed and cared for, a tall handsome man with short brown hair and a scar on his left cheek strolled into the fortress that he calls home.
Making his way towards the back, he spotted a jovial old man sauntering through the halls.

"Captain!" The man yelled out, running up to catch the old man. "Is he training out back?" He enquired.

"Ah, good to see you're back. The job was successful I assume?" The old man asked, giving him a curious and inquisitive face before walking along again.

"It was. Is Kaidus out back?" He repeated.

Captain Zikale stopped and grinned. "He's gone already."

"Gah... So I was too late." Dalzak replied regretfully.
He was on a job for the past twenty-nine days and had just returned to headquarters. He wanted to see his nephew one last time before the boy left for home, but unfortunately he was too late.

"You shouldn't have taken so long. You just missed his departure by three days." Captain Zikale replied, enjoying Dalzak's misfortune.

"Kuh-..." –You bastard. Was what he wanted to say, but Dalzak sighed instead. He knew the captain understood that any quicker was practically impossible. He was not about to dignify the captain's impossible words with a reply. "There's always next time." he replied keeping his tone neutral.
It took them thirteen days to ride south to the mining town of Cabalut. One day to investigate about the beast in the mines, and another two to find and deal with them. The trip back was also another thirteen days. There was no way he could have made it in time to see the boy off.
"... Who went with him?" He asked to make sure the young boy was not traveling alone.

"Aatar, Talien, Jakus, and York, along with Vasara's group." The Captain replied without turning to look at him.

"Vasara's group? Oh, right. It's that time of the year again." He quickly understood.

"If you're worried, why not get back on the road and follow them?"

"No, I'm good. If York and Vasara are with them, they'll be fine. Also, my butt and thighs need a few days of rest before I'm willing to get on a horse again." Dalzak gave a tired smile.

"Join me for lunch then? You can tell me all about the job." The old man asked, turning through the hallway and heading towards the mess hall.

"Sure. I could use a warm meal." Dalzak's tired smile widened into a grin. He wanted to get some rest after the exhausting trip, but a hot meal and full belly sounded even better now that he thought about it.

"What was it that was killing the miners?" The Captain asked, taking a quick glance at him before entering the canteen.

"A large cave hound. The bitch was feeding her litter of pups with miners." Dalzak answered, following the captain.

"A cave hound huh? I'm surprised they had no idea what it was when they hired us."

"The damned creature was smart. Even we didn't know what we were up against until we baited the thing out into the open."
Dalzak began his report. His familial regrets about missing the young boy's departure by three days were already gone, having reverted back to a professional soldier.

**************************************

A young girl wearing a beautiful blue dress was running through the spacious hallway to her room. With a bright smile on her face, her years of training were evident in the way she moved: elegantly, silently, and swiftly.

Long auburn hair flowed behind her and underneath the beautiful aquamarine dress, a prominent mound denoted her developing bosoms. Her cute childish face was already transforming itself into a beautiful young lady's: a straight sharp nose, enticing red lips, and beautiful bright brown eyes.