Chapter 29- Meeting of Five

Kaidus awoke to the sound of whispers and childish voices coming from the outside.
Through the slits cut into the walls of the hut, dim streaks of light were coming through, announcing the day's beginning. He sat up and waited for his eyes to adjust to the faint light before standing up.

Vick slept across from him on a bed of straw, covered with a blanket. Their chat with the elder the previous night had been very long and tiring, and Vick had fallen asleep as soon as they were shown to their beds. Snoozing with his mouth open and looking very comfortable, it always amazed him how the man could sleep anywhere.

The house they were in was a small hut much like the elder's: four walls with a shabby roof that could definitely use some improvements, and bereft of any belongings. It belonged to the man named Pelwin—the one he had held at sword point during their first meeting—and his family, but was allocated to them for the night.

Without waking Vick, he left the shelter.
A flurry of children scurried away as he opened the door. A few of the adults who were already out and about turned in his direction briefly, before going back to whatever they were doing.

He had slept later than he wanted to, and could see that the morning fog was already thinning. Nearby, the red and yellow glows of cooking fires were scattered throughout the village in patches of color. A delectable odor wafted through the air and his stomach began to grumble, reminding him that the last thing he ate was a snack while they were following the soldier back to the Countess' camp.

As he looked around, for some reason, the children that had ran away were gazing back in his direction. A few were watching him while others were waving and making hand gestures.

He turned to see a young girl peeking out at him from the side of the hut. She looked like she wanted to run and join the others, but couldn't because he had caught her. He smiled. "Hello," he greeted and walked toward the little girl. "What is your name?" She stared at him without moving or uttering a word. "It's okay if you want to go to your friends. There's nothing to be afraid of." He reassured with a soft coaxing tone and saw her eyes lighten up.

"M-Mira." She meekly replied.

"Mira huh? It's a beautiful name." He was surprised that she even answered. "I'm Kaidus. Nice to meet you, Mira. Do you live here?" He gave her another friendly smile and tried to make conversation.

The girl nodded and slowly stepped out from behind the corner of the house, revealing a stitched up dress with patches of dirt where she must have fallen frequently. At least two to three years younger than Anise, the girl had dark hair and her two beady black eyes stared back at him curiously, reminding him of his little sister.

"What were you all doing?" He asked, feigning ignorance.

"P-playing..." She replied with a low voice.

"That so? What were you playing?"

"Umm... Uh-... Are you okay?" She questioned, seeing that he meant no harm. "Lirell said his daddy saw you fall from the sky. Are you hurt?" She added, looking up at him inquisitively.

"I'm fine." Kaidus replied with a chuckle. "Mira, do you know where the elder's house is?"

She nodded at his words but something caught her attention and she ran away. Kaidus followed the young girl with his eyes, only to see her running to someone who was already walking towards him. It was Fera, the elder's daughter.

"Good morning." The older girl greeted nervously as she arrived with Mira on her heels. "I've come to call you both for breakfast." She spoke with a tense smile, half afraid and half thankful.

"Good morning," Kaidus replied, returning a curt nod. "Please allow me a moment to wake my friend up. It seems he was very tired." Kaidus stepped back into the house as she informed him that she would wait.

Vick had been right about his comment of Fera the previous evening—upon their first sighting. She was quite striking, in a modest sense. While she wore plain clothes and although her brown hair was tied in a simple fashion that draped to her front, her gray eyes—unlike her father's piercing gaze—gave off a warm and gentle aura. They also accentuated her lovely face and easily drew the attention of those looking at her to them. He was surprised to catch himself glancing in her direction every now and then, while Vick on the other hand, was ogling her all throughout their talk last night.

As he walked back to the straw beds, Vick was already sitting up and looking at him. "You are going to tell me about everything that happened last night, and whatever it is you are planning to do from here on out. I know you love your secrets, but mythical drakalls are one thing. An organization comprising of ruthless mages? That's something very different altogether."

The older man gave him a stern look and he could barely hold in his laughter.
"Stop it. That's not like you at all." Kaidus reminded, and Vick's façade easily fell apart.

"Was it that transparent?" Vick's tone and demeanor quickly changed back to his usual blithe self.

"It was. The way you furrowed your brows, you were trying too hard." Kaidus grabbed his cloak from on top of his rucksack. "Get ready. We've been called to breakfast." He informed as he strapped the xeberite sword to his waist.

"Seriously though. That bright light last night, flying through the air before I passed out, and this hidden agenda of yours. What's really going on, and what exactly did you learn from that magic academy?" Vick replied, getting off the pile of straw.

"Later." Kaidus grabbed his rucksack before turning back to Vick. "Lady Fera is waiting. Also, don't forget to bring your belongings. We'll be leaving after."

...

A large group had already gathered by the time they arrived.
It was the same place that he had descended upon the previous night, only now, it looked like an outdoor picnic with roaring flames and full on cooking pots out in the open. Logs lined the ground, designating a seating area and many people were already enjoying their food.

Breakfast was wild tuber stew, roast hog and snake slathered with syrup from the nearby talapruss trees, and insects. To wash it down, they had broth concocted from the bones of a large flightless bird that the villagers called a sahanish.

"Did you both had a good night's rest?" The elder hobbled over to them as they were eating.

"Yes. Thank you for your hospitality."
"We did. Definitely beats sleeping on the ground." Vick gave a cheerful smile.

"I'm glad," The old man replied. "I see that you both brought your possessions. Will you be leaving soon?"

"We'll be leaving shortly after breakfast. We had not intended to stay the night, but it was a much needed bonus."

"I see..." The old man took a moment and reached into his sleeves, pulling out a letter. "Forgive my impudence and selfishness after all you've done, but might I trouble you both with a favor?"

"What sort of favor?" Kaidus looked at the letter then to the old man's face.

"I know that the politics of this country does not concern you both, but might I ask you to deliver this letter to the Liberation Army? They're probably looking for, or assumed us to be dead, seeing how Vernigale suddenly disappeared overnight. It's been almost a turn since we've lost contact, but I would like to let them know of our situation." The elder handed him the letter. "Only if you happened to run into them of course."

"Are you sure? Who's to say you were not merely a convenient and expendable asset in their struggle to regain Malpaars?" He questioned.

"Whether that is true or not, is trivial in comparison to what is at stake. I understand that it is foolish, after all it was our involvement with the Liberation Army that landed us in this mess, but they are our only hope for a better Malpaars."

"You are willing to risk your life and everyone here again? Even your daughter's life?" He questioned, staring firmly into the old man's eyes.

"I am not, but if it means a better tomorrow for them all, then I am willing to get on my knees and beg for assistance."

"I..." The old man's eyes were unwavering, yet he could see the turmoil within.

"Look at this place, boy. Does this look like a life worth living? Always on the run, always afraid for our lives, and eating whatever we can scrounge off of the forest? What would it mean to all our children if this was their way of life in the future?" The old man paused and turned away to look at someone. "My daughter... already a grown woman, she should be having the time of her life. In a better world, she might already be living peacefully with a husband and family of her own. Yet instead of that, she is taking care of a crippled old man who can barely walk, and living in this squalor, not knowing what her future entails." The elder turned back to them. "Please. My daughter deserves better than this. Everyone here deserves better than this life. If the Liberation Army hears of our situation and sends help, then it would be worth it."

"... I understand. I will deliver your letter if we happen to encounter anyone." Kaidus took the letter and carefully slid it into his rucksack between his map and papers.

"Thank you." The old man lowered his head gratefully. "I do not know of your purposes in these lands, but please watch yourselves out there. Good fortune to you both, and may the blessings of the gods be forever in your favor." The old man turned to move away.

"Lord Shradech." Kaidus spoke, halting the old man.

"Yes?"

"If I may make a suggestion, move everyone south of Imvera. It will be slow and will take some time, but the forests there are thick with vegetation and it doesn't look like anyone's ventured there for quite some time. You should all be safe there for a while. This place here may be safe for a few more days, but I wouldn't count on it staying that way for too long. I will also let the Liberation Army know of your relocation if we encounter them."

"You... You came through the southern woods of Imvera?" The elder looked at him, face filled with surprise.

"We did."

"Who- No... Never mind. I will let the others know and see how they feel. Thank you for telling me." The elder limped away back to his daughter, leaving them to enjoy their food.

After breakfast.
With a handshake and a brief goodbye to the elder and Fera, they left the forest village. They departed without inquiring about the fate of the Countess, but he made sure the elder knew that she was a mage. The information seemed to have surprised them, but it did not matter as he had already sealed her voice.

...

"Well, you got something you need to tell me? We've got quite a long road ahead, and I would love to hear it." Vick interrogated as they were walking through the forest and had put quite some distance between them and the village.

"Hm? No?" Kaidus returned a puzzled look as if unable to understand what Vick was talking about.

"... you brat..." Vick shot him a displeased look. "At least answer this: finding this drakall of yours was just a front wasn't it? And I was right when I asked you about it in Aristolk."

"No. That is still the primary objective of this trip. Only now, my secondary objectives have crawled into the open, and you happened to be caught right in the middle of everything." He gave a wry smile. "I didn't think I'd have to reveal my hand to you this early, but I had no other choice, given they were members of Tal'hrus."

"Hah... primary, secondary objectives... You think you know someone, and then it turns out, you don't at all." Vick sighed and gave him a look as if seeing him for the first time.

"Don't say that now. As you said yourself, you know me well, and to that, I must agree wholeheartedly and acknowledge your sharp observations. It's just that I also have other facets that you are unaware of. But overall, I am still myself, so there's no need to be giving me that look."

"... It's like I'm not even talking to a kid anymore. Act your age, damn you." Vick protested, grabbing his shoulders and shaking him jokingly. "Little Kaidus! Are you in there?! Where did the wide-eyed little boy full of questions go?!"

"Stop it. That's disturbing."

"Disturbing? You can fly! And who knows what else you did with that light that almost blinded me."

"You know, if you want to see how it feels again in the air, all you have to do is ask. There's really no reason in guilt-tripping me into offering just because I withheld it from you."

"So you knew?" Vick's face instantly changed into a grin. "Kaidus. I want to fly again."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes." Vick replied with excitement.

"Fine. Just remember what happened the last time." He started walking around, looking around for an opening in the forest canopy.

"I didn't know what was happening then. This'll be different."

"Over here." He called for Vick, and the man walked over to him. He grabbed onto Vick's arm. "Wait, what are you doi- AHHHHH!" A scream rose through the forest as he threw Vick into the air and launched himself up after.
Zion caught them as they broke through the treetops. As their momentum settled, he saw that Vick had already fainted.