Chapter 43- Revenge

Sitting by himself underneath a large overhanging tree, Ralfus slowly whittled away at the branch in his left hand. With each incantation, a piece of the slender branch was forcefully torn off, and he continued to do so until there was nothing left. Though focused solely on his magic, he could feel the handful of eyes staring in his direction, and the fear in them. He knew that the display would serve as a deterrent to all those around him and he smiled, as it was how the world should be. He was a mage, one gifted with the power of the elements, and should be revered.

Around him was a group of five men, all who had assented to following through with his cause. Seven altogether, they were less than accommodating to his commands at first, but had quickly fell into place. Yet like uncultured savages, they continued to bicker and move about endlessly while waiting for what was to come.

Throwing the shaved piece of wood in his hand away, "Where's Ludrick?" He turned to question a tall man who was busy sharpening an array of throwing knives.

"Ludrick? Went to check on Nort earlier. Should be back soon." The tall man replied, holding up a knife to gauge its sharpness. With a quick flick, the man launched the knife towards a tree a good distance away.

He watched as the man did the same with three more knives. With a content grin, the man then got up to go fetch them.

He looked to the other four, and they continued to do what they were doing. Three of them were arguing over a game of rings, while the fifth was trying to cook some sort of slop with the supplies they had left.

He stood up and broke a branch from the tree before starting on another incantation.

They had been waiting, hiding in the woods alongside the road to Gravas for the past two days. Not wanting to miss his target, he had made sure all his companions were assembled and out of Ferrent before the mages and knights returned from their campaign. If what Urixx said was true, then it would only be a matter of time until Lord Varath and his group caught up to them.

Their camp being almost a day's ride from Ferrent, and he had gone over his plan with the crew plenty of times, making sure they knew what to do and what they might be up against.

He himself had never seen the Varath guards in action, but if they were anything like those of his own family, it would not be much of a problem.

...

As the afternoon came around, someone approached their small camp.

"Ludrick?" Someone questioned.

A skinny bearded man in his early forties burst through the bushes with a wide grin on his face. "They're here! Hurry!" Ludrick shouted, shattering the peaceful afternoon.

Just as they had talked about and prepared for, everyone dropped whatever they were doing and grabbed their weapons. Two men picked up their bows, another grabbed the knives he had been sharpening, and the other two tied their swords to their waist. Already equipped with his own weapon, Ludrick ushered them to quicken the pace.

"How many?" Ralfus questioned, standing from his spot.

"Didn't stay to count, but looked to be around a dozen. All were traveling on horseback, so we have to move fast."

"To your positions then." He ordered.

...

Unwary and talking amongst themselves, there were fourteen of them altogether with Lord Varath at the center.

Hiding in his spot at the bend of the road, Ralfus watched as the group approached. His men were already in position along both sides of the path, and all that was left, was for the group to come into their range.