Chapter 41- Names

Spreading its wings to catch the ever present wind, the young serpent rode them upward into the clouds.

Having gone high enough, it tucked in its first two pairs of wings and dove, using the third pair on its tail to steer and control its trajectory.

Like a pitch black bolt, the young drakall shot straight down towards the forest, using its newly enhanced senses and vision to close in on something moving in the undergrowth.

Breaking through the opening in the canopy, it spun and unfurled its wings, instantly halting above its prey. With a powerful roar, it sent shockwaves outward, throwing up the leaf litters on the forest floor and stunning the small hog that had been too busy digging up roots.

Running on instinct, it quickly coiled around the stunned hog, tearing at its throat with razor sharp fangs.

Within moments, the stunned victim had stopped squirming.

Grasping tightly onto its catch, the young drakall began beating its wings once more, lifting itself—and its prize—into the air.

---

In the midst of preparing a breakfast of wild greens and wolf meat, Kaidus watched as the youngling returned with a small black boar dangling from its mouth. Judging by its size, the boar was about the same as the kavaks from a few days ago, only rounder. Yet, the youngling was carrying it with little to no signs of discomfort or struggle. Gliding over to him, it dropped the kill by the fire and swooped over onto his shoulders.

"Krruuu."

"Good job, Zirus." He smiled, looking at the bloodstained drakall. With a thought, the sheen of red liquid that was covering the serpent began sliding off, revealing the glossy black scales underneath, and a small red gemstone on its forehead—where the stripe began.

"Kruuurrrrrr!" The youngling flicked its tongue out in quick successions before leaving him and slithering down to lie beside the fire, and to watch his food cook.

Just like the previous day, it was adhering to his rule of eating when he eats.

-Two days prior-

"Do you want to come with me?" Kaidus questioned, holding out a piece of meat to the young hvaral.

It was not yet evening, but they had already left the village of Reigun far behind, and were having an early dinner.

The young serpent flicked its tongue twice before taking the food with a quick striking motion, then jumped onto to him. "Kuuuurrrrrr."

Slithering across his shoulders, it coiled itself around his left arm once more as it ingested the wolf meat.

"I'll take that as a yes."

Grabbing at the black coils, he pulled the serpent and it unraveled, allowing him to pick it up. Docile and completely still, the youngling's head was arched back and leveled with his own. Its two golden eyes were staring back earnestly, as if not wanting to be left behind again. "What should we call you?" Without answering, it simply gazed back at him.

"Ah, I got it." Setting the serpent on the ground, Kaidus knelt down on one knee. "Trust me on this, alright?"

With his knife, he nicked his left thumb and allowed a bright red bead to form. By his will, power swelled up from within himself, and coursed into the single droplet of blood.

Seeing the action, the youngling began vibrating as if getting ready to flee or defend itself.

"Don't be afraid. I need you to trust me." Kaidus repeated, dropping the knife onto the ground and pulling back his powerful aura to show that everything was fine.