Chapter 42- Heroes

-Ferrent. 11th ward-

Sylvia watched with envy as Naleen moved and spun around with the blunt metal sword, falling into different sways as if dancing in the middle of the spacious room. The peculiar sound of metal slicing through the air came every so often, along with what sounded like low whispers.

She had seen what her friend could do during the arms competition, and even though the older girl had awoken to her magic, Naleen was still diligently practicing her swordsmanship as usual.

With an abrupt dash and an upward thrust into the air, Naleen muttered something, and the sword burst into flames, "Kyah!" She screamed and dropped the weapon.

"Naleen! Are you okay?!" Sylvia cried out in surprise.

"Kuh- why?" Talking to herself, Naleen quickly ran over to her desk and took out a note. "It is Renass enferas Fremas... get it right already, Naleen." She voiced out loud in frustration.

"Naleen?"

"Sorry. That WAS supposed to be an enchantment to imbue the sword with fire, but as you can see..." Naleen replied with a disappointed frown, gesturing to the sword on the stone floor.

"Enchantment? You can do that already?"

"Father taught me a little, but it is harder than I thought. I keep getting the last few lines mixed up, and I can't seem to control my mana correctly. If only I... no, never mind."

"Your lord father taught you? Does that mean you are not going to the academy?"

"I don't know." Putting away the piece of paper with the written incantation, Naleen moved to the sword on the ground. Lightly touching it to make sure it was no longer burning, she picked it up. "Since they're both spellblades, I want to stay here and learn from father and grandfather, but I'm not sure what they'll say after I finish my basic training."

"Oh." Sylvia replied in understanding.

She had never seen either of Naleen's father or grandfather fight, but she had heard many stories about their accomplishments. There was no denying that if Naleen wanted to become a spellblade, it would be best to study under them. "Are you done with practice now?" She questioned, seeing the older girl walking towards the box of practice swords at the foot of the bed.

"I am." Naleen replied. "You said your mother sent Jill to the Murilons?"

"Yes. To formally accept the invitation to their celebration dinner."

"Is that so? I bet she just wanted to show Jill off to the young lord of the Murilons. I must admit, your mother is quite amazing in that regard."

"Amazing is... I don't know if that's the right word. I'd say more along the lines of meddlesome."

"What's wrong with that?" There was a smile on Naleen's face as she sat down on the bed.

"All this matchmaking, Jill should have a say in choosing her own partner, plus ... Why are you smiling at me like that?" Sylvia quickly asked, seeing the grin on the older girl's face.

"Well, that's because I don't ever hear you complaining about the match your parents made for you."

"Match? T-that- That's not true!" She hastily refuted the statement, upon realizing what Naleen was implying. "M-mother never made any such matches for me. I'm still too young, a-and that- that was just a..." A young man's face suddenly appeared in her mind, and she could feel herself heating up. "A misunderstanding..."

"Oh really?" Naleen's smile widened. "Is that why you're so defensive?"

"Wha-?! That's because you-!"