[13] ▷ steven

"C'MON, Steve," The tall, clean-cut, nicely dressed teenage boy, James Buchanan Barnes, yelled over his shoulder as he stepped along towards one of the many concession stands at Coney Island

"C'MON, Steve," The tall, clean-cut, nicely dressed teenage boy, James Buchanan Barnes, yelled over his shoulder as he stepped along towards one of the many concession stands at Coney Island. "They're almost out of the dogs, Steve, hurry up!" Behind him, the scrawny boy trudged, holding his stomach as he looked warily up at the Cyclone. His cheeks were already tinged with green, and they haven't even ridden it yet.

"I don't know, Bucky." Steve said, shaking his head. "I don't think I'm going to eat before I get on that thing." He jabbed a skinny finger towards the Cyclone. Bucky's blue eyes widened. "But Steve, that's the point! We eat the dogs, ride the Cyclone, get sick, and bam! No school tomorrow!" Steve rolled his eyes. "I already miss enough school as it is." Steve said solemnly. Bucky then realized that Steve was already a sickly person, it'd be selfish of him to make a sick person, sicker.

He sighed with a small smile, walking over to Steve and wrapping a long arm over his bony shoulders. "Okay, then, little buddy." Bucky said, and they walked away from the concession stand, towards the long line for the Cyclone. Steve couldn't help but smile at his friend as they walked, and after the long wait, they rode the Cyclone. Steve still threw up what was in his empty stomach and Bucky felt a little sorry for, —yet again, — making him do things he never thought he'd do.

After they got off, they walked home with 2 rolls of cotton candy in their hands. "You won't get me back for making you ride the Cyclone one day, will you?" Bucky asked Steve in a joking manner, lightly and playfully bumping his shoulder with his own. Steve chuckled. "Of course not. Why would I do that?" Steve said sarcastically and Bucky shook his head. "You're a punk." "Jerk."

Bucky's eyes fluttered open, his mouth falling slightly agape as he came to. His eyes wondered around the new familiarity of the small apartment they were staying in. "Well, good morning, starshine." Artemis said from across the room at Bucky, who slowly and groggily sat up from his place on the hard bed. He looked at her with raised eyebrows, noticing that her long legs were crossed as she sat against the wall, staring out the window at the concreted buildings around them.

"Did you dream about rainbow narwal horsies?" She said, almost emotionless. Bucky chuckled and lied his head back down on his jacket once more to close his eyes in hopes of just one more minute of sleep. "No, and I don't know what the hell those are. And I don't think I want to know." At this, Artemis cracked a smile. "Good, because they're terrifying."

Artemis made a slow move to stand to her feet, dusting off her bottom as she did so. "What are our plans for today, James?" She asks as she makes her way towards him. He cracks open an eyeball as his hands rest behind his head. "Haven't heard that name in a while," He jests with a smile. She smiles back at him sarcastically. "I'm trying to be more mellow with my life, ya feel?" "Oh yeah, I feel." He says sarcastically, closing his eyes once more.

She rolls her eyes at him, slapping his chest playfully. "Wake up, you asshole. I'm tired of sitting here." He groans, sitting up quite groggily, his hand reaching up to scratch at his long brown locks. Artemis noticed the short distant look he held on his face, and cocked her head to the side. "Another nightmare?" She asked quietly, and his head snapped to her. He smiled sadly, shaking his head as he looked her directly in the eyes. "No, I think it was a memory. About Steve." At that, Artemis looked away from him and out the window.

"Oh," She whispered, blinking slowly at the sleep depravedness she was experiencing. "He was such a scrawny kid," He whispered, his voice slightly cracking at the end, but a short chuckle followed it. "How the hell did he grow up so fast?" Artemis laughed at that. "Steroids, my friend. Steroids." She sat down on her side of the small, uncomfortable bed, slightly making it bounce at the impact.

"You know what?" Artemis said suddenly after a small pause in the air, standing to her feet quite quickly. Bucky eyed her mysteriously, but nevertheless cautiously. He could never know with such a rambunctious girl such as Artemis. "We're going out today. I'm tired of being cooped up in here constantly." She said, sticking her hand out for Bucky to take. He took it with a small smile and a shake of his head, standing to his feet.

The two walked out of the door, not knowing that going out into the open would get them into loads of more trouble than they already were in.

☆★☆

"You're such a dork," Artemis giggled as she walked beside Bucky, leaning into him almost unconsciously. It had become a habit of hers to never detach herself from him, knowing the moment she does, things so south.

He chuckled back at her, his bearded smile feeling as if it were rising her up to Cloud 9. His army-green jacket and garnet shirt go great with the blue of his eyes, Artemis thought, but she quickly cleared that from her mind. "You're the one that told me you wanted plums, you moron." He jested playfully. She looked at the ground, brushing her matted brown hair out of her eyes, then pulling her gray cap farther down over them with a small scoff. "Yeah, yeah, whatever. I didn't ask you to me all smiley-wimey with the cashier, now did I?" He chuckled. "No, but it's called being polite. Maybe you should try it sometime." He said, laughing as she slightly punched him in the shoulder.

They made their way back to the apartment, but Artemis's instincts kicked in, and she heard a heartbeat. Before Bucky could take another step towards the door, she stuck her hand out and stopped him abruptly, her hand resting on the slope of his chest. She shook her head 'no' quietly, and just like a lightbulb, Bucky's face became slack, and he was the Soldier again. He quietly opened the door, his stealth making Him completely silent as the supposed aggressor was facing the other direction, unfocused. The first and only thing that Bucky saw was a red, white, and blue shield sitting atop the faded marble counter. He stopped in the doorway for a split second, causing Artemis to have a small panic attack.

Please don't do this right now, Bucky, Artemis pleaded in her mind, and her pleas were answered as he stepped farther in, letting her come in and stand right beside him. The two stared quietly at Captain America slightly pacing around in their yellow, beaten down kitchen. Eventually, Steve turned around, not alarmed by the fact that two deadly assassins were on the opposing side of him at the moment.

Bucky's jaw never slacked, but his metal fist clenched. Artemis sat her hand on it, and he became less tense, but still never took his stone cold blue eyes off of Captain America.

"Well, hello, stranger." Artemis said sarcastically, her eyes flashing mysteriously between both Bucky and Steve, waiting for a fight of any sort to break out. "Been a while, eh?"

☆★☆

(a/n: welllllll......

HOLYYYY SHIITTTTTTTTT!!!!!!

I just saw Civil War today and I'm still hyperventilating! I'm nOT OKKAYYYYY OMMMMFGGGGGG

But now since Civil War has come out, I thought it'd be the perfect timing to go ahead and work it into this book. I'm so excited, eeeek!!!

Also, if you wanna fangirl with me over any type of superhero stuff, PLS PM ME IM LONELY

But thanks for reading this chapter, my loves, and I hope you enjoyed it!!

Much luv,
~KatXoXo