[20] ▷ revelation

"BUCKY, please calm down

"BUCKY, please calm down."

"How the fuck do you expect me to calm down, Steve? She's all I had!" Bucky yelled, his fist swinging towards the wall, crumbles of concrete cracking and falling to the ground as a result. Steve watched from the background with sadness at his best friend. He knew that he was acting this way because of his own stupidity, his inability to see anything other than the hopes of trying to get Bucky back. He never even saw her in the passenger's seat.

That thought broke his heart as he watched Bucky hang his head.

"We'll get her back, I promise." Steve responded, making Bucky laugh dryly.

"Don't make promises you can't keep, Steve." Bucky spoke as he walked towards the exit of the parking garage. The memory of him promising Ellie he would come back from the war flashed in his mind again, and he squinted his eyes closed as tears swelled within them.

With a sniff, he reached his arm up to his eyes, wiping the wetness on the sleeve of his red shirt. He looked down at it. Just a little bit earlier he had her head on his chest, her unconscious body with his own. He had watched the curve of her lips tell him those famous last words, and then he was filled with regret for not telling her what he had felt back. Now, she's gone.

That thought made his heart ache, and he grunted as he looked ahead. The Feds went under to look for the helicopter at the bottom, and Steve and Bucky had watched with hopeful eyes. If they pulled her up, she would still have been alive. Water can't kill her, even if it's been stuck in her throat for days.

They came up with nothing, which infuriated Bucky even more. Someone had taken her, and he knew almost immediately who it was. Earlier on, Bucky remembered her telling him of an organization, one that was bigger, stronger, better than Hydra, and they were mainly coming for her.

Footsteps were heard behind Bucky and he turned around. "Buck," Steve said, and Bucky sighed.

"It's time to suit up."

☆★☆

After their intense chat, the girl, Willow Wilson, ordered the guards to take Artemis from her restraints and to a cell, one of the worst ones they could find. Artemis rolled her eyes at how childish Willow was being. Fucking hell, it's not like I killed her entire family or something... Wait, maybe I did. Don't know, really don't care, she thought to herself, the voices in the back of her head screeching back at her like a flock of pterodactyls.

"You know damn well you care, I should know, I'm the side of you that actually has feelings." The monotonous one said, and Artemis nearly rolled her eyes.

"I have feelings, too, Ann!" The quirky one yelled, causing Artemis to sigh heavily as she was still being pulled down a never ending labyrinth towards whatever cell was the worst. The voices in the back of her head had decided to give each other names, which aggravated the hell out of her not to yell out in the middle of nowhere to the voices in her head to "Shut the fuck up, Ann and Alice!" So most days she had let it pass, but now with her already going absolutely bonkers on the outside, Artemis didn't really give a damn whether she was actually crazy on the inside. Once she was thrown into her cell, she began to scream.

"Shut up!" She said, banging her fists on her head, gripping her hair in her hands and pulling, not feeling the pain of her long brown locks being ripped from her scalp. She held it in her hands afterwards, trembling as she stared intensely, shaking her head. "Get out of my head, you fucking annoying shitheads!" She screamed finally after, throwing her hair away with enough force she thought that the hair she threw could have cut someone.

"We can't get out of your head, Arty. We are you." "Just please, leave me alone. Shut up. Please." She begged, her back sliding down the grimy wall. Her butt hit the ground with a small bounce, and she brought her knees up to her chest and buried her face in them. Her frail body racked itself with heartbreaking sobs. Sobs of pain, sobs of distress, of regret, of remembrance, of every emotion that she had in her, until that one emotion that she barely wore wrapped itself around her head and that was all she could think about.

Those last few words she had spoken to him before he went dark again; those three words, three syllables, that told him everything he needed to know. It gave him comfort in his last few seconds of consciousness, knowing that she felt the same way.

She fucking loved him.

That was the only way she could pull herself to describe it, and she looked up, wiping her raw cheeks with the back of her hand. That was her ammo, that was her fuel. She needed to get out of here, she had to. She knew Bucky was coming for her and she knew she had to be patient, but she couldn't.

He was putting his life on the line for her, she couldn't stand that. She had already put him through enough pain as it is.

"Arty, he's doing it for us," Ann inquired in the farthest back part of her head, and Artemis sighed heavily. "I don't want him to. I don't want him to get hurt because of me again." Artemis said through her tears.

"You know why he's going to do it, though?" Alice said, and Artemis scoffed. "Why? Why could he possibly do this for me? I ruined him even more than what he was-" "You made him feel at home." Alice corrected, her perky voice now soft and mellow. Artemis sighed as she ran her fingers through her greasy hair.

She was conversing with her self so much that she didn't even hear the clicking of the 4 inch heels advancing towards her cell.

"How pathetic," Willow said as she stepped in front of Artemis's cell, and Artemis's blue eyes slowly advanced up towards the blonde, her eyes willing to kill.

"Fucking kill her. Right now." Alice said, making Artemis slightly snort.

"Not right now. We're out in the open where the guards can attack you. Wait when you're alone, then you can kill her." Ann said, and Artemis moved her lips to her head.

"Whenever I kill her, there will be none of you guys. My kill." Artemis warned in her head as she smirked mischievously at the blonde standing directly in front of her. "I wouldn't say pathetic," She spoke out of her head now to Willow, and Willow smiled sickeningly.

"You ready to be a lab rat, bitch?" Willow said, flicking her wrist, and the lock opened, causing Artemis's eyes to widen.

"I wasn't warned about tests," Artemis said as she stood painfully to her feet, her knees still trembling from the pain on her arm. "Oh, and by the way, how did you do that? I used to know someone who could do that..." Artemis trailed off as her eyes widened at the realization. Willow shrugged.

"What can I say? My grandad was ol' Magneto. Mama was a badass." Willow smirked, and Artemis smirked back. "Seems that we have a lot in common," Arty said snarling, and Willow chuckled, using her black aura to grip Artemis by her neck and tug her inches away from her face. Artemis was hovering 5 inches off of the ground, scratching at her throat as her eyes bulged.

"Yeah, I guess our father gave us the same sense of humor."

_______
(a/n: THE SUSPENSE!!!)