[5] ▷ the fall

April 4, 2014
Washington, D.C.

HE was quiet.

He didn't utter a single sound the whole way to our destination site, and I eyed him warily from my side of the van. It was usual for him not to talk much on his missions because he was focused, but now he was being too silent.

They've drastically changed him.

I wanted to reach over and cup his cheek, to tell him that all this bullshit will be over with soon and it'll be just us again, but I couldn't risk something like that right now.

I adjusted my gloves very awkwardly as they were perched in my lap. My eyes began to nervously wander down my body for something else to keep myself preoccupied with so the thoughts in my head wouldn't consume me whole.

Silence kills because it screams the truth, and that's exactly what's pulling my insides out right now.

He was scary. He wasn't the Bucky that I knew when he was mine and no one else's. He was their Winter Soldier; a notorious, cold-blooded, ruthless killer, who has a past that's stained with heartbreak and the blood of his best memories. He was not mine anymore. He never was.

That thought made my heart shatter in its place but my face kept its solidity. I couldn't break down, not here. Definitely not right now.

The van came to an abrupt halt and I almost immediately opened the door, hopping out while adjusting the assault rifle on my hip. He came out directly behind me, his hair blowing along with the wind like the Victoria's Secret model that he is.

Or should I say, Bucky's Secret model.

I smiled to myself but directed my attention back to Rumlow, who gave instructions to his team before turning to The Winter Soldier and I.

"Okay, sugar tits," He says, causing my eyes to immediately burn into his and fill his mind with regret. "Artemis," He corrects, and I send him a nod of disgusted approval before looking at the red color of my nails.

"You and The Soldier are taking it up top while the squadron and I take the building. I don't care what you blow up, as long as Captain America and his team die. Just remember that if you need back up, all you have is each other." He shrugs then begins to walk away, adjusting his earpiece as he does so.

"Rumlow," I call. He turns around with a look of displeasure on his face, and I smirk. "I hear that new recruit's a badass. I hope his little fairy wings throw you off the top of a building." I say with a sweet, sarcastic smile pulling on my lips. He flips me the bird and begins to walk away. Out of the corner of my eye, I see a small twinkle in The Winter Soldier's eyes that told me that maybe, just maybe, my Barnes is still in there.

+++

The three aircrafts hovered above the water, and I was on one of them. I looked down over the balcony at Bucky, who gave me a swift nod in order to tell me to stay where I was. I obeyed and stood back in my place, waiting for the commotion to begin.

From below me, I heard heavy footsteps on the railings, and an unfamiliar voice that I could only ponder out to be Steve Rogers, began to speak.

"Buck," He whispered, and my insides fluttered as I listened quietly from above, unseen. "Please don't make me do this." Steve pleas, but as soon as realization cracks him open that there was no more Bucky until he digs down deep enough, he throws his mighty shield at him. Bucky blocks it with his metal arm, causing it to ricochet back to its rightful owner.

As they battle, I look over the ledge to see who was winning, only to see Steve throw Bucky off the side of the pillar.

My eyes widened when I hear a loud 'thump' hit the glass at the bottom, letting me know that he had hit the bottom.

My heart beat loudly as I jumped down onto the ladder, climbing myself down to see the two assholes battling it out like wolves from different packs. I watch over the bridge at the two of them down below, seeing who was winning and if I had to step in anytime soon.

Bucky had the drive sealed tightly within his flesh hand, and Steve had him by the throat. I quickly jump over the railings, trying my best to climb down them as quickly as I could. I heard the shear dislocation of bone, and Bucky's screams of pain following shortly afterwards. At this point, I was fuming. I'll kill that bastard for hurting him. I'll kill him.

As soon as I reached the glass beneath my feet, the aircraft was shaken abruptly, and I gasped. "Fuck," I whisper. From the open window, I catch a glimpse of the other two helicarriers shooting at one other, including this one.

I watch out of the window in shock, not paying attention to the two super soldiers battling it out until I see Steve Rogers running towards the bridge like a bat out of hell.

At that, my realization comes back into check and my 'soldier' button was flipped on. I look over to Bucky to see him passed out cold on the floor. I quickly run over to him, kneeling down to grab his shoulders and shake him. He shook his head when he came to, and blinked his eyes.

I sighed, taking his gun from his open hand, aiming up at the red, white and blue target and firing. I hear a loud grunt of pain coming from up above, and a small smirk of triumph found its way onto my face when I see a bloody left asscheek on him.

He finally made it all the way up to the bridge, holding his leg in pain. I center in on his back, right where his heart would be located, and I smirk. "God bless America," I say sarcastically, before pulling the trigger and watching him fall to his knees. I crack my neck, turning back towards Bucky and handing him his gun. "We need to leave, now." I say, but as soon as I say that, the metal bars holding up the bridge above us both began to shake violently.

Before either of us could move out of harm's way, the large metal construction fell down on top of the two of us. All I can remember is a large pair of feet hitting the glass and the weight being lifted off of me before all I saw was black.

+

(a/n: this was so crappy oh my god please forgive me. I'll probably have to rewrite this soon when I have some time bc as you can see this chapter was not at all thought out. thnx for reading anyway, loves! <3