[18] ▷ zemo

"SO

"SO..." Steve started as they gathered into the black car that Steve was driving. Bucky sighed as he laid Artemis's head on his lap. "What?" Bucky asked. Steve cleared his throat awkwardly, turning the key in the ignition, then looking at the two in the rearview mirror. "Are you two..." He trailed off, his hands waving around to signal something that Bucky couldn't quite put his finger on.

"Fonduing..?" Steve finally got out, and Bucky couldn't hide his snort. "What the hell is fonduing, Steve?" He asked, shaking his head as Steve shifted uncomfortably in his seat. "You.. You remember me?" "Sorta." Bucky said as he watched Steve pull out into the road. Steve nodded awkwardly, and the car fell absolutely silent with the exception of the music playing lightly in the background.

"Who was Ellie, Steve?" Bucky asked out of the blue, his eyes grazing over Artemis's sleeping face before looking back at Steve through the rearview mirror. Steve's eyes grew a little at the mention of Ellie. "She was your girl," Steve said, a small smile tugging at his lips as the nostalgia of the three always hanging out together back in the day, Bucky always calling her his girl.

"Did I ever marry her?" Bucky asked, merely above a whisper, and Steve's smile faltered immensely, shaking his head no. "Oh," Was all Bucky could say. His heart ached, and his eyes looked away from Artemis. "She looks like her, you know." Steve said, smiling. Bucky knew exactly who he was talking about, and shook his head. "From what little I could remember of her, they have the same spark in their mouths, too." Bucky said with a chuckle, shaking his head.

"Oh, yeah. Ellie was always one to reply with unnecessary things," Steve said solemnly. "I saw Peggy just right before she passed and she told me that gal's mouth never stopped moving. Even after she passed, she still heard it." Steve pursed his lips, and Bucky's eyes began to water at the mention of that.

"How did she die?" Steve shook his head, turning on his left signal. "Cancer. I'm sorry, Buck. This generation is ripping us to shreds." Steve turned left at the red light, and Bucky never said another word.

The car ride was silent now, nothing was heard except for Artemis's heavy breathing. It was of course all too quiet, and before Bucky could think, Steve yelled out as he swerved the car to the left with shaky hands. Bucky immediately held tight onto Artemis, not noticing that his fingers were digging down into her wounds. She awoke screaming in pain and shock at the happenings, and Bucky immediately pulled his hand away apologetically.

They merely shared a look of shock before the side of the car hit a ramp, putting the car to a halt. "Damnit," Steve said, unbuckling his seatbelt as the car doors of the black car were opened and a man in black grabbed Artemis by her hips, dragging her out of the car at Bucky's protest. They also pulled Steve out, as well as Bucky. Artemis was now on her knees as the men held her hands behind her.