Chapter 3

"What do you mean?!?"

"I mean you have to help me trick my parents into thinking I have a boyfriend. They are trying to set me up again."

"You owe me big time Alexandra Marie..."

"I know... And never call me that again,"

He puts his arm around me and we walk to the ballroom. Mom's never seen him before so for now she's oblivious.

We walk in and Adrian gives me 'the look' and comes to 'greet' our guest. But before he can say anything I tell him my plan and says to me, "If he's your boyfriend kiss him." In response I kiss Eric on the cheek.

"Come on that was pathetic," I knew he would say something like that. Then, out of the blue, Eric leans down and kisses me softly on the lips. Then he says, "Are you happy now?"

Now comes the worst thing Adrian ever says:

"No...Mom, come over here and meet Alexandra's boyfriend!"

Well played Adrian. I'll get you for that. My mom rushes over and hugs him and says, "Hi! It's nice to finally meet one of Alexandra's friends..." She glares over at me, "She doesn't bring them here often." She carts him off to show him around and talk to him. And I pull Adrian out of the way and tell him, "If you ever say a word to mom I'll kill you. And if you ever do anything like that again I'll make you life miserable Adrian Aaron Dover. It's been seven years since you left the academy and I just finished combat training, so you should know I can kill you in a thousand different ways."

I can see the fear his eyes and I feel no regret. Now he stutters, "I...I...I be-believe you." Then walks back to the ballroom trying to look happy again.

Then I go save Eric from my mother and we dance and have a wonderful night.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Eric stays the longest. Even Adrian leaves before him. Eric and I sit out on the front porch on my parents' one hundred year old wicker bench, in silence. Then he says, "Al...I have a confession to make..."he walks to the end of the driveway and then mouths something then he gets in the car and drives away. "What the hell is wrong with him?"

I walk upstairs put on pjs, set my alarm, and go to bed.

Beep, beep, beep! The alarm continues to sound. So, I get up and put on my training clothing and drive back to the center. I go through training ignoring all of Eric's attempts to apologize and talk to me. I finally go home and start listening to my favorite songs and singing. Then there is a knock at the door. Shit. I know it's Eric and he can hear the music and knows I'm home. I answer the door and just look at him, blank faced and don't say a word.

He starts, "Al I know I screwed up, but I wasn't thinking right, I didn't have anything to tell you--"

"Shut up Eric! You're a liar and I know you had something to tell me, but you were too scared and if you can't be honest and tell me EVERYTHING like you promised, then we can't be friends." I slammed the door in his face and went to bed.

Beep! Beep! Beep! SLAM! My hand hits the edge of the clock and it smashes to the ground. I get up and go through the day like I've just been through a miserable break-up. Even Victoria, my other best friend can't cheer me up, but she knows that when people think I'm mad at them, I'm usually just sad because of them or disappointed in them. So, after training she comes over with a tub of ice cream and a duffle bag, and we spend the night watching Netflix and eating ice cream. The next morning I wake up to the smell of eggs and bacon. What a best friend! Today we are going to go get my first tattoo. I want my zodiac sign on my left arm, near my shoulder. I am a Sagittarius and a December baby. So, we eat breakfast and make our way to my car. She drives and I sit in the passenger seat. It's a mark of coming of age to get your first tattoo. I'm the oldest of our friend group so everyone is meeting us there, even Eric is coming for this big event. I'm ready.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"Alright cutie, you sure about this?" the tattoo artist asks me.

"HELL YEAH! I'm sure."