Chapter Twelve (Part 1)

"I talked with Hendrix about the Journal I found yesterday. He said we should use it to our advantage. What do you think Tori?" I asked my best friend, who was now sat across from me at the kitchen table.

"I say you bring it with us this afternoon and you use it; but I wouldn't tell Deane though." She responds as she picks at the scrambled eggs on her plate. I just nodded and continued to pick at my cereal, which I wasn't going to eat. I got up and put my dish in the sink then walk back to the garden. I sat in silence, in thought, as I stared off into the sky with too many thoughts in my head to count.

"You know you shouldn't be out here alone," a voice came from behind me. "Hendrix , I can take care of myself, you don't have to protect me all the time." I said quietly back still consumed by thought. Hendrix just sat down next to me and pulled me into a hug. And for once, in my god damned life, I gladly sobbed. We just sat there, silently, as I sobbed.

"Alexandra Marie, we are going to do this together. Remember, 'til death do us part." he said as he pulled away from me and stared down at me with his beautiful green eyes. He simply kissed me, then helped me up and we walked back to the apartment hand in hand.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

"Time to go, love." Hendrix was stood in my doorway with his training clothes on and his backpack on. I just sighed as we walked hand in hand out the door surrounded by the compound's security. They led us to the conference room where our families would say goodbye, for what may be the last time. The one person I didn't want to see just has to show up: Lukas. He walked over to me with that smile on his face and Hendrix shoots me a questioning look which I shrug off.

"What ya want Double 07?" I ask with an annoyed look on my face. "I'm just here to warn you, but if you don't want my help I'll leave." Lukas sparked my attention and I looked up at him in surprise. "Warn me about what?" I stared at him intently while I waited for a response. 

"Don't trust Alex Deane," he whispered and then he disappeared as the security detail called for last goodbyes/and lined us up with our weapons so we could be paraded up to the main stage for the mayor's unnecissarily long speech.

~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~

The Mayor has been speaking for what feels like hours, so I'm scanning the crowd for familiar faces and as I land on the faces of my teachers, friends, and family. Then, I see a face that I haven't seen since I was 5; my grandfather. All I have is pictures of him but I'd know that face anywhere.

"Now our group leader, Alexandra Dover, will speak." the Mayor states as he flashes me his "Award winning smile." I slowly walk up to the podium and I stand here for a moment and look over the audience. Then, I begin to speak: 

"Today, my company and I, we will travel interdimensionally to save you and all the other races, species, and people in this universe. I, personally, want you to know what it takes to get there; so we, my team and I, will be fighting hordes of grimms for you, exotic aliens, for you, and working our asses off to save you. So please, if we die out there, remember what we went through to try to get there. I want you to think of us as not only warriors, but heroes. If we make it there and back I want us to all be thankful and keep peace. So, please remember that we are risking our lives to save yours." 

It was short and simple but full of passion and rage. Then there was applause and cheers. Now we must start the journey.

~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~