Chapter 6

I wake up to the sound of footsteps. I can barely see through the darkness in Hendrix's small guest bedroom. There's a dark shadow at my door; then someone covers my mouth and nose with a cloth that smells of chemicals. What the hell is going on?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I wake to bright lights. Where the hell am I? What am I doing here? Why don't I remember anything? It feels like someone is watching me. I started to scream.

"Help!"

"Let me out, NOW!"

"help!"

"Help me please?!?"

"Someone?"

"Anyone?"

"Help me!"

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I've been laying here for hours, maybe even days. The only sounds I hear are the sounds of the medical machines attached to me. Then, I hear a door open from behind me and the click of a woman's heels. "I'm sorry we couldn't get to you sooner Ms. Dover, I had a meeting..." She waited for my response. "Now, we've taken you out of haste, I apologize, but the rebellion needs someone who's young and has some current power." She took a long dramatic pause. She's quite the bitch, isn't she. "Yes, your ex was on our side, but we never meant to kill you, that was of his own accord." She finally walked around to face me. She had dark hair and it was graying. She wore all red and had an a symbol on the breast pocket of her jacket. I hadn't seen her before. "He was a criminal and so are you and this whole dirty organization." I spat at her instantly. "Oh, don't be that way don't you want to help us? Don't you want human kind to live safely, even if it means everyone else dies?" she said in a sing-songy voice that made me want to hit her even more. "I'd rather die here and now than be responsible for the death of every other race!" "Oh come on, Alexandra Marie, you don't really want that do you?" a familiar voice said from behind me. It was Eric. " I thought you were in jail, you asshole." "I was, but I was let out early..." he said sarcastically. The woman in red laughed then said, "This is your last chance, will you help us?"

"Never."

"Fine...guards take her to cell two and put her on the firing squad schedule for Monday...That's 3 days Ms. Dover." The guards came in and uncuffed me from my bed and escorted me to an empty cell.

I think there's a way to escape from here. There's a large window in my door; I think they put me here because I am still weak; but I could still break it. It's not reinforced and it is chipped on the outside. Tonight, before the guards change I'm going to run.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

It's finally time, I've broken the window because my guard ran off. Wherever he went to help whatever disgusting operation is happening now. I take a left following the convenient exit signs. Then someone backs up into me and I panic and swing around in a battle stance. It's Victoria... "What the hell are you doing here?!?" I questioned her. "Rescuing you, but it seems your doing just fine." she says jokingly. "Let me help you guys," I say starting in the direction she came from. Instead, she grabs my arm and says stubbornly: "You are out first priority, out you go..." She then stands in my path. "Fine," I say and we follow the exits closely until we're in the bright light of the day. Then, I am in the hands of the medical specialists. They stream past with meds, checking me out here and there, and doings all sorts of things; but they won't let me see my friends. They just put me in a car drive me to the compound, and escort me back to Hendrix's apartment, where I am alone. So, I do the only thing I can think to do, and go to bed.

The next morning I wake to Hendrix at my side. He is just sitting, waiting, watching for me to wake, and when I do a large smile appears on his face. "Good morning," I say in almost a whisper. "A good morning it is," he says with that big smile. "How long have I been asleep?" I ask with a painful smile. "It's about 9 a.m..." he says frowning at his watch.

"What's wrong?"

"I just thought it was earlier, I have a meeting I have to get to." he kisses me on the forehead as a goodbye, and walks out. Alone again, so I try to get up, but a pain in my side stops me. I check my side and see that my bandages are a crimson red. I get up, despite the pain, and go check the bathroom for a first aid kit, but I can't seem to find one. Someone pounds on my door. I know I'm not supposed to answer, but I got to check it anyway. It's Victoria, and now she asks through the door: "Hendrix? Are you home? They didn't take Al home, or to the hospital wing. I need to find her...Can you help?" I open the door, despite orders and she throws her arms around me in excitement, almost knocking me over. "Why the hell are you here?" "Come inside and I'll explain." I say into her shoulder.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~