Chapter 5

"Okay, you want to know what's going on, I get it. I can't tell you, you just have to stay here with me so you're safe, okay?" Hendrix said while trying to walk away from out first one sided fist fight, so I pounded my fists on his back until he turned around. Then, he flipped me to the ground making me wince in pain. "Sorry!" he said surprised at his angry actions. My side had been cut severely by sharpnel the from the explosion. I tried to stand up, but before I could Hendrix scooped me into his arms and carried me to bed. That's obviously where he thought i needed to go. I was actually glad I could relax, although I felt like still being defiant because I wanted to know things I couldn't. "I know it's hard but we need you to full health before you can do anything.", he said, "Listen, Al, your name's been drawn.", he looked at me with sadness, he was quite good looking I thought as he waited for an answer I couldn't give him. "Why me?"

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

All I could do was burst into tears after that, but Hendrix held me tight and let me cry into his shoulder. Now I was alone because he had the night shift until one. I waited up because I couldn't sleep, and I cried a few more times devastated by the fact I now have to go, fight my way to something I didn't want. I realized it was the first time Hendrix had ever seen me cry, and he took it quite well. The first time I cried in front of Eric he froze; because I tried to "mother" my friends, because none of them needed to feel the way I did. When I was young dad was busy and my mother was always off with friends and co-workers. I was alone with the horrible nanny. She had abused me. I never took it well so when I got the option to come here I accepted, I still have nightmares about that woman. My parents still don't know, sometimes the nightmares are so real I need to self harm. It's so late I realized just then. After, I drifted into a beautiful state of dreams, until I had a nightmare. "Help! Get her away from me!" I had dreamed of her trying to hit me with a baseball bat because she was so angry. "Al, wake up it's okay, it's me, Hendrix!"

He startled me out of sleep, and I almost hit him. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, it's me!" he whisper yelled at me. I finally calmed down and realized who he was and next thing you know we were hugging. Then he asked, "What were you dreaming about?" I froze, could I tell him? The only people that know are Victoria...and Eric. I decided I could and explained the entire story to him. "When I was a kid both of my parents were out often and I was left with the nanny. At first, she was nice and gentle, trying to get my trust. Then, she would start drinking and get mad for no reason, and abused me. She would beat me with something different every time, so they looked like bruises from play. One time she came at me with a small, sharp knife and told my parents the cuts were from falling down the stairs. I still have nightmares her. I was dreaming that she had gotten me with a baseball bat...My parents don't know about any of this. Please don't tell them." I pleaded , and then I broke down from the mere memory of it.

He placed a hand on either side of my face and lifted my chin so I was looking strait into his captivating green eyes. "No one can ever fucking hurt you again while I'm around", he said protectively in an angry low voice that was quite sexy on him. Then, before I could smile he lifted my tear stained face to his and softly kissed my lips. I now realized how much I really liked him, and blushed. "Al, since I've known you I could tell I was in love with you. You were my definition of the one, but when you started dating Eric I thought I had no chance. I know that it might take awhile, but when your heart is ready consider me." He said with a growing  smile on his face,"I already have." I said, and it caught his attention right away and he waited for more. "I'm not sure yet but...come with me to the promised land...I am, permitted a team of ten including me, I need you...Please?", my voice softened to nearly a whisper, I waited for his answer. "Of course, I will always
be there for you." he said taking my hand. I smiled happy to know that I had someone there for me.

Earlier, after he told me my name has been drawn he also told me that Eric had set up the bomb and planned it, but when I didn't die he wen to the last resort. Hendrix found him standing over me with his gun, but took him down before he could shoot me fatally. He had grazed my leg with a bullet and that was why I wasn't able to stand, walk, or do anything well. They imprisoned Eric and he only will plead that he was set up. There's only evidence of him at the crime scene. No leads, no connections he was going to jail for attempted murder. I can't understand why he would want to kill me. I can't describe to you the pain I feel, and the pain I've felt. I've kept having dreams, and I can't keep myself from the past. At night I'm depressed and alone with my past; during the day I am confined to a single space with someone I can trust. Is going to the promised land worth it at this point?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~