eight

-

-

- Evie -

-

Another death, another funeral.

More and more people in the town started hearing about two deaths happening in a row the past month, and soon the press had taken a step in.

The detective and officer Hanson had done their best to keep us all away from the press, and to avoid answering any questions as much as possible.

Speaking of, officer Hanson.

We hadn't spoke once, ever since the incident at Mallory's house.

Ever since the heated kiss we had, I felt..Wrong.

The fact that he was probably nearly ten years older than me, and the fact that I might have had something with Michael at the same time, confused me.

Not only that, but one of my best friends Lola just died.

I don't think my life has gotten this worse, ever.

This had to be a living nightmare.

But through it all, I still went to school.

Our group had started to slowly fall apart ever since Stacey died, and now Lola.

It was sad, really. To see us like this.

During break, I walked with Mallory through the hallway.

It has been two days ever since we had gone to the crime scene at the hospital, but still I never asked Mallory or Luke why they weren't there.

This wasn't the right time, but I asked her anyway.

"Where were you?" I asked her.

She just stared, emotionless.

"What?" She asked quietly.

"Where were you, you know the day Lola was found freaking dead." I frowned at her.

"I just didn't want to see her." She lied. "I can't keep this up, after seeing Stacey's corpse, now Lola's? I don't want to keep scarring myself. It's too much." She sighed, still avoiding eye contact.

"And what about Luke? I haven't heard from him all day, and ever since Lola's death."

"He's been busy." She said shortly.

I rolled my eyes. "Busy? Seriously? With what?"

"You know what, maybe that's why these killers are targetting all of us.'' She finally got herself to look me in the eyes as she pushed me to the side.

I just stared at her in confusion.

"Because yeah, we're all friends. Everyone can clearly see that, but we've stabbed each other in the backs so many times, maybe one too many that it's torn us apart. But we're all too afraid to say it out loud, hell we've never apologized for anything." She went on, running her fingers through her messy blonde hair.

"So what are you trying to say? That I haven't been a good friend?" I slightly rose my voice.

"Not just you, but all of us. The only functional friend between us all is Hailey, honestly." She sighed, leaning against a locker.

"Well then how do we get this to stop?"

"I don't know. But.." Her voice trailed. She had quickly stopped herself from speaking though.

"But what?"

"Nothing." She shook her head.

"It's something Mallory. If you know something is going on here, you need to tell me. Tell the detective.''