fourteen

-

-

- Hailey -

-

"Did you get a face? A glance? Something?" Detective yelled, slamming his fists onto the table between us as I flinched.

"Nothing." I cried, closing my eyes. "They.. They moved too fast. My friend just died."

"I'm not going to sugarcoat it this time, Snow. You thought you could be the hero, and you thought you can end this. All you've got is Calum dead, and another unsolved mystery.'' He spoke through gritted teeth.

My hands shook as I stared down at them. "I just want to go home."

"Not a chance tonight, sweetheart. With that murderer on the loose, you and your friends will have to stay put here in the department. Got it?" He sighed.

I looked over at Officer Desario in the corner of the room just staring at the wall across from him.

"This is some twisted shit going on." He finally said something the past half hour, my eyes stinging from the tears.

"Stay here, until we find evidence."

As soon as I reached the door, my mind immediately went back to what Calum had said before he took his last breath.

"Stacey." I murmured.

"What?" Detective asked. "What did you say?"

"B-before Calum died.. He said a name. He said Stacey. Twice.'' I shook my head. "I know Calum, and if he really had something so say, it would be somethinf important. And he said Stacey.''

There's silence behind me, as I turned around, locking eyes with the detective.

"Maybe you aren't as useless as I thought.'' He admitted. "I think we just found a possible suspect."

"Who?"

"Calum Thomas Hood. Grant, I want you to look through all of his files, and take in all the people he knows for questioning. I also need detailed information of where he has been the past two weeks."

"I'll get right on that." Grant immediately replied, glancing at me with a confident smirk on his face before brushing shoulders with me.

"Calum couldn't have done this. He was the one killed. Are you insane?'' I stared at him with widened eyes.

"If he knew something, he could have been a part of it. And if he was, it'll lead us right to who started this all in the first place." He said blatantly in a montonous tone.

"Fine, look into him. But you aren't going to find anything." I shook my head, turning to leave.

"We'll see about that, Snow."

I sighed, quickly pacing into the waiting room where everyone else sat.

"I can't do this anymore.. I can't keep watching the people we care about die." Evie muttered, tears staining her pale cheeks.

"Calum is dead, Lola is dead.'' She weeped, looking at me and the others.

My heart broke at her words, as a silent tear rolled down my cheek.

"I.. I know--"

"This was your set up, Hailey. For all we know, you could be the one plotting this." Michael cut me off, his glare on me as I narrowed my eyes at him.

"How could you even say that Michael?" I asked. "I was the one who watched Calum die, not you, you fucking coward."

"That's enough." Ashton rose his voice, clenching his jaw as he stood by my side. His hand wrapped around my arm to keep me from lurching towards Michael as I breathed shakily.