eleven

-

-

- Luke -

-

[ FLASHBACK ]

-

It was a warm day on the beach.

There was a slight breeze that topped it all off, the warm sand under me.

It was overall a really good day, and everyone was having such a time.

I sat with Calum on the sand, as we both watched everyone else in the water.

Evie and Michael were chasing the waves and running from them as they came back to shore.

And there was a clear tension yet again between Ash, Stace, and Hailey.

Ashton kept looking at her, even though she was alone, just walking along the shore and picking up sea shells along the way.

I watched as Stacey hit him on the chest, rolling her eyes as she had walked away and over to me.

"Luke." She smiled, her arm wrapping around my neck as she stared at me.

"You're drunk." I immediately told out, raising my eyebrows as I shrugged her arm off.

"Oh don't be such a buzz kill." She slurred, her breath reeking of vodka. "I'm just trying to have a good time.''

"What's with you and Ashton? You guys have been on and off for the past month, and it's getting kind of irritating." Calum furrowed his brows.

"I'll kill him one day, I swear." She laughed half heartedly.

"Don't joke like that, he's your boyfriend." I chuckled.

"Doesn't mean he acts like it." She murmured, her eyes flickering over to him as he had walked over to Hailey, helping her pick up the shells.

-

[ FLASHBACK ENDS ]

-

-

I'm snapped out of the trance I was just in when Hailey walks through the door with a look of distress on her face.

"Why is there press crowded up outside?" She pointed behind her.

"It's gotten everyone's attention now, somehow.." Michael sighed. "God, how can people be so sick?"

I just nodded in agreement, Calum glancing at me.

"Everyone in my office, I want every single one of you, inside." Detective Jones shouted, as we all immediately got up, and walked over to his office.

"Mallory?'' I called as she looked over me with unease.

"I don't have anything to say to you, Luke." She whispered, crossing her arms.

"I'm sorry for these past few days, scaring you like I did. Look, I just.. I need you to trust me.'' I said lowly.

"And I do, Luke. I just don't know how long I can keep this up." She said shakily.

"Mr. Hemmings, Miss Lane?" Detective motioned us from the door.

We both shared a quick glance before I lead the way into the dimly lit room.

The rest of what seemed to be left of the gang sat at a long table, facing an unfamiliar man who had smoked from a cigarette.