thirteen

-

-

- Evie -

-

"Fuck!" I screamed, fumbling with my pockets for my phone as everyone panicked around me.

"Hailey!" Ashton bellowed.

"Ashton no!" I countered. "Don't go up there!"

"She's up there, I need to go get her before--"

A loud thud comes from the back door, following loud pounding.

Everyone screams, including me.

"Michael?" My voice is hoarse, it felt harder to breathe in this suffocating darkness.

"I'm right here.'' He breathed out, next to me.

Once I turned the flashlight on from my phone, I point it around the living room to check if everyone was here.

Hailey hurried down the stairs with a gun in her hands, as I stared at her in shock.

"It was in my mom's room." She whispered lowly, tears in her eyes.

"Everyone just stick together, alright?" Ashton followed.

Hailey's phone rings, startling all of us.

"Detective?" She responded shakily.

"We're going in Hailey, we saw the lights go out--"

"No! No don't come here." She yelled. ''No one come into the house, not until I see who this psycho is. Just send back up. I'll give you the go to come inside, just trust me."

"You're insane. I'm not staying in here another damn minute!" Mallory cried.

"Hey." I murmured in realization. "Listen to me!" I shrilled.

Everyone turns to me in fear.

"Where the fuck is Calum?"

"Oh my god." Hailey said shakily.

Luke stood there in shock, that is until all our phones dinged and buzzed simultaneously.

I opened the anonymous text, my heart dropping.

Unknown: let's play a game called save Calum, shall we?

At the first ring of Hailey's phone, she answers it.

"Don't hurt him." She spoke through gritted teeth. "I'm warning you."

"What can you do? I'll kill him the second your cop friends step out of that car." He hauntingly said.

"Who's out there?" Luke whispered, his eyes on the back door.

"We'll have to find out." Hailey murmured.

"No. I'm not letting you go out there!" Ashton held her arm, tugging her back.

"I have to find out Ashton." She cried.

"You're going to get killed out there. Don't do it. Please. You.. You're the only hope I've got Hailey, I wouldn't know what to do if you--"

"I've got a damn gun, and I'm not afraid to use it."

Before she could say anything else, Ashton leaned in, kissing her heavily.

"That's because I know you'll come back. Alive." He said, cupping her face.

"Okay." She whispered.

She turns to us. "If this person wanted to kill me, they would have done it already. Somehow, I know they want me alive. Everyone go to the basement, lock the door. And I'll come back."