twelve

-

-

- Mallory -

-

"You're not going to that house, Mallory Lane, you are staying here with your own family." My mom cried.

"They're my friends mom.. Look, this is all for the best. I know it'll end this, or at least get close to it." I sighed as she hugged me tightly.

"You call the police as soon as something unusual happens, okay?" She warned me. "You're no good to us dead."

"I'll be safe." I nodded once.

"And tell those friends of yours to watch their backs as well."

-

-

I parked my vehicle in front of Hailey's house, behind another police car as I pursed my lips.

Slinging my shoulder back over, I walked over to the car, crossing my arms.

"Miss Lane."

It was Grant, the new cop that detective had assigned to our case, and detective at the passenger side.

"Please tell me you guys are ready for this." I breathed out nervously.

"We're always ready, Mallory." Detective comforted.

But somehow, deep down I knew that this sadistic murderer would always be one step ahead of us.

"Whatever happens, we have back up on call, and of course us. If anything happens we'll be able to hear and see anything that comes in or out."

"Thank you." I muttered. "I-I just don't want anyone else getting hurt tonight."

"And no one will." Grant reached out, taking my hand as I stared down. "We might have met just last night, but you're not going to get hurt with me here tonight."

"Okay, okay Desario." Mr. Jones snapped, glaring at him.

"Go on ahead, Mallory. We're all eyes tonight."

Nodding once, I smiled weakly before walking up to Hailey's house.

This gave me somewhat of an unusual deja vu feeling to the night it all seemed to happen in a flash.

I knocked twice on the door, Hailey made it clear that we all knocked twice to make sure it was us.

She seemed more prepared for this than all of us, actually. It gave me hope somehow.

Hailey opens the door in sweats and a loose tee shirt, smiling at me.

"Hey."

"Come in." She said, peeking her head out.

I walked in to find Ashton already there.

Why wasn't I surprised? Of course they have something going on.

"Hey Mal," He waved as I just nodded once.

"Everyone should be coming soon. I said no later than ten."

Once Hailey goes into the kitchen, I wait for the door to close before turning to Ashton.

"What's going on between you two?" I murmured, sitting next to him.

"Um, I don't really know.'' He half smiled, slightly shrugging.

"Are you guys dating?"

"What? No, I don't think we are Mal--"