sixteen

-

-

- Evie -

-

-

[ 2 MONTHS LATER ]

-

The death of Stacey Griffin had been a revelation to the evil this town had hidden for years on end. What lurked in the shadows was death, betrayal, darkness.

It all seemed like it was just yesterday when it was a constant question of life and death not knowing who was next to go, or the next game the twisted psycho behind the mask had in store for a group of friends like us.

Although ever since the death of such a loved and treasured girl in this town, nothing had ever been the same. 

I cut all ties with the people I had experienced it all with. Everyone just seemed to drift away after Stacey's death. It seemed like the most reasonable thing to do; cut off the people who had lived the same danger, and could have possibly been part of the killer's pact. It was too much to handle, constantly thinking being around these people was nothing but unsafe.

Today would make two months since Stacey's body was found dumped in a ditch, pale and cold.. Just dead.

I got goosebumps just thinking about how I had seen her body, the feeling of an uneasy stomach never really leaving ever since that moment in time. Something truly wicked this way came, and the death of people close to me like Lola, Calum.. It had been all too much for me to take. 

Ever since they had found Stacey's body, Detective Jones had closed the case, and decided it was too cold for any solid evidence. Too many unresolved deaths had happened, and lack of evidence lead everyone to believe that every attempt would be a dead end. And since the murders had halted completely, everything had been back to normal. 

Although I wouldn't be lying if I said I always felt my heart drop at the thought of someone watching me. Even if it had just been a creak of the door, or the sound of a woosh in the wind, really anything had managed to bring me back to the horror of what had been my life.

Luckily, not anymore.

I sat in my room, watching The Shining, one of my favorite classic horror films to ever really exist. It was the stunning cinematography that caught the idea, the eeriness that could make anyone's skin crawl, and their mind scream at the tension and maze like plot line. The only reason I've been watching my favorite horror movies all day was because tomorrow was Halloween. 

To me, Halloween started to become just every average day as soon as I had turned 13. The most I can really do to sink into the mood is to watch all the scary movies the world has to offer; the less stupid ones of course.

"Evie?" My mom's voice made me glance over to the door as she had lightly knocked on it.

I paused the movie, just at the infamous bat scene where Wendy had been swinging at Jack as he had gone psychotic.

"Hey." I pulled a small smile, glancing at her questioningly. 

"Are you not going out tonight? It's halloween." She tilted her head at me in confusion. "What about your friends?"