13::: losing for a girl

[NOT COMPLETELY EDITED]

"Who is it?" Meg hollers from the patio, taking a sip of her lemonade and eyeing me suspiciously.

"Aze. And some blonde chick I've never seen before." I yell back as nonchalantly as possible.

She freezes and slowly looks at me, eyes wide. "What? Who is she? Let them in!"

I cross my arms over my chest, lips pressed together. When she realizes that I'm not going to budge, she takes the situation into her own hands.

She turns the knob slowly and swings the door open. "Hey, you must be Aze. I'm Megan, Max's best friend."

"Hey." Aze nods once.

"And who's this?" To anyone else Meg would look harmless but the tone she's taken to is anything but. I've known her long enough to know when she's attempting to be scary.

"Oh, how rude of me. This is Layla. . .my sister." The last part is pointed at me, his eyes sparkling in amusement making me laugh nervously.

"Your sister?"

"Twin, actually." He adds. Ugh, As if the situation couldn't get anymore embarrassing.

I clear my throat and walk towards the pretty blonde. "Oh um...hello. I'm Max, as Aze said before I shut the door in your face." I blush and hold my hand out.

She lets out a twinkling laugh and shakes my hand with genuine avidity. "It's so nice to meet you. Aze here wasn't even going to invite me to come along but I decided that it was time to meet the girl he's been talking about lately."

Aze nudges her subtly but I catch it, letting out a laugh. "I'm glad you're here. There's food in the kitchen and drinks outside. We have a pool if you're interested in swimming?" I suggest, watching Aze as I wait for a reply.

He whispers something to her and she nods. "Sounds fun, just let me run next door and put on a swimsuit. I'll grab yours too, bubby." She smiles sweetly at her brother and he rolls his eyes albeit smiling brightly.

"Thanks. I'll see you in a bit." He calls after her.

There's a pregnant silence that settled between us and I clear my throat awkwardly.

As if the almost kissing incident this morning wasn't embarrassing enough, I just had to make things even worse.

Typical, Max.

"I'm really sorry for...uh, that." I chuckle nervously, bowing my head in embarrassment.

His finger is suddenly on my chin, pressing my head upwards. I look back and forth between his eyes as he kisses my nose making them flutter shut, sending me a silent message.

I smile, relieved that the tension is gone.

"It's okay. I shouldn't have tried to kiss you and I should've introduced Layla as my sister sooner." He pulls me closer, resting his chin on my head.

My arms go around his waist and I breath in the smell of his white cotton shirt before letting out a sigh when a knock on the door interrupts us.

"You can just head outside, I'll be there in a minute." I tell him softly.

He nods before heading off to greet Garrett who's already in the pool, probably trying to smooth things over.

Good luck with that.

"Darren! Hey." I smile as I step aside for Darren and the rest of Garrett's friends. "Garrett's in the pool, there's food in the kitchen and drinks out back. Help yourself."