23::: confessions for a girl

I can't believe we're already at 23.

I mean, I know that I started this book about two years ago but I'm proud that I somehow keep coming back to it.

* * *

[UNEDITED]

"So let me get this straight." Aze begins, "you spent the night in a jail cell."

"Yep."

"With Zedd."

"Um...I mean he slept on the floor so..."

"But he was still there." He tries to clarify, his eyes boring into mine making me squirm.

"Aze, I didn't do it on purpose." I try and explain.

"Is this what happens when I try and give you some space? You somehow end up spending more time with the guy who caused all of this than your own boy - I mean me?" His face turns red when the word almost came out.

The silent question hits me.

Is he my boyfriend?

I don't think so...at least he's never asked me to be his girlfriend so I'm pretty sure I'm not. No I'm definitely not.

And for some reason...thinking about being his girlfriend doesn't sound as appealing as it used to.

"I-I'm sorry." I try.

He doesn't look as mad as I thought he'd be. Just...sad I guess.

All of a sudden his phone begins ringing, the sound piercing the silence.

He clears his throat before looking at me for permission. I wave for him to pick up and turn my back to him, trying not to become to frustrated.

"Cora hey what's up." His tone completely changes from the upset and disappointed one he held with me.

My eyebrows furrow as I listen to the one side of the conversation.

"Oh I did?" His voice gets quieter. "Well um could you possibly bring it to my house in an hour or so? I wouldn't ask if I didn't need it. Okay great. Thanks." He hangs up and I turn around to face him.

"Why did Cora just call you?" I ask calmly. I'm not usually the jealous type but - heck I'm surprisingly not even jealous. I'm just mad.

He shifts uncomfortably from foot to foot. "We're friends, Max. Am I not aloud to have friends that are girls?"

"Why was she calling. It sounds like you left something with her." I keep my voice neutral.

He sighs and runs a hand through his hair. "It sounds a lot worse than it is."

"Well if you have nothing to hide then you'll tell me." I cross my arms over my chest.

He steps a little closer to me but I take a step back. "Just tell me Aze."

"Look, you weren't talking to me and I had nothing to do so Cora and I just hung out." He shrugs.

"Where?"

"Meg's house. Why does it matter?"

"Because." I say calmly. "That's where she's staying."

"So?" He asks, acting confused but I can see a drop of sweat on his forehead.

"Was Meg there?" I ask, rendering him silent.

"That's what I thought." I scoff.

He steps forward again, grabbing my arms. "Max I swear I didn't know Meg wasn't there. Cora invited me over and -"